Nighthawk Colt Custom Classic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Nighthawk Colt Custom Classic

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    I love the finish ! would like that on myRockIsland.

Member #
    Liked
    1899 times
    Quote Originally Posted by simonp67 View Post
    No criticism here! I agree. This is tailored for people who want a semi custom 1911, on a Colt & don’t want to wait. Honestly I think the work NH did is far under $1,000 if one was to buy a Colt and send it out to a smith. The majority of the work is cosmetic.

I wouldn’t buy this or the GI version, rather send my gun to a private smith for my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Seriously? I get the gun is not for everyone but less than $1000? NH doesn't publish prices but I can throw some at you:

Smoke Nitride finish-$450. It's a proprietary finish involving melonite, then cerakoting, than hand buffering the finish.

According to colt custom shop-
    Enhanced series 70 reliability package-245
    Serate front strap-185
    Serate msh- 185
    Carry Bevel dehorn-135 (cheap most Smith's charge 150 or more)
    Flush crown - 95
    Fit and blend grip safety(independent of a custom part price)- 260 (evolution armory- colt doesn't list blended grip safety price)
    National Match trigger tune-250-same at evo
    Match fit barrel bushing-$150-not including price of a nighthawk bushing.
    Custom rear sight-colt does fixed Novak's for 120
    Gold bead front sight-colt doesn't offer but others offer for-150
    Custom hammer-no idea-
    French border-150
    High cut trigger guard-175

That amalgamation of prices comes out to 2725.

I am not certain on the cost of the finish at 450 as I am only going off what I have seen posted
    Also, colts custom shop is fairly cheap compared to most Smith's out there.

If it's not your cup of tea, fine. But don't say it's less than $1000 worth of work.
    22Flattop and Cop_Out like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1899 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post
    I know I'm going to get criticism for these comments, but here goes:

1. I'm surprised that this didn't include an upgrade to an arched mainspring housing.arched is more a preference than an actual upgrade.
    2. I have my doubts if there is really $2K worth of additional work in that gun. see post above
    3. Does this additional work actually make the gun shoot better, or is it mostly for aesthetic purposes? well the match fit bushing would increase accuracy of the drop in barrel significantly, the national match trigger job and reliability package would as well. As for aesthetics, aestheticsare what make the custom semi custom world go round these days. Very few guns need any actual reliability work, and most come from the factory more accurate than 80-90% of shooters are anyway.

I know Colt said that the purpose of the 1911 Classic was to be for customization; but I didn't think that other manufacturers would use it as a base. Then again, at least this ensures that Colt gets some business.

Response in quote.
    Last edited by Kingcobb; 01-12-2020 at 07:39 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1940 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
    Welcome to the world of semi-customs. Thats cheap.
    You've got that right, @Kingcobb! I've had NHC do several 1911s, and all were around 4k each. The Colt-Hawk is a great semi-custom pistol at an attractive price point.
    binggo likes this.
    USMC Veteran
    31 Year LEO
    NRA Life - Benefactor

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1065 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
    Response in quote.

Okay, I was wrong about the cost of the upgrades.

The finish is interesting... is it supposed to mimic parkerization?

There's no doubt this is a very nice semi-custom gun. Still, that's a lot of money for what amounts to (mostly) aesthetic modifications. But that's my own opinion.

simonp67 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1899 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post

Okay, I was wrong about the cost of the upgrades.

The finish is interesting... is it supposed to mimic parkerization?

There's no doubt this is a very nice semi-custom gun. Still, that's a lot of money for what amounts to (mostly) aesthetic modifications. But that's my own opinion.

On the finish I think it is supposed to be closer to a worn looking blue than parkerizing. Of course its a lot more durable and protective than bluing.

Again, most semi/custom work is about aesthetics, but in this case, arguably 8(front strap and msh serations, match fit bushing, carry bevel, gold bead front sight, custom rear sight, reliabilty package, national match trigger job, and arguably the finish depending on where you come down on aesthetics vs function) of the mods are entirely function related. I mean about the only thing left they could do that wouldn't be aesthetics related would have been a gunsmith fit barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    784 times
    That really is a cool looking gun...but I gotta say, if I were to whip out a $2,600.00 “Semi Custom” 1911 around the crew I shoot with, it had better be one hell of a performer...or I’d be getting laughed off the range by a bunch of guys shooting one hole groups @ 25yds with there RIA’s. Where I come from, looking cool can get you in a whole lot of trouble!

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I wish they'd checkered the front strap and MSH. I get that the serrations may lend themselves more to the tone of the build. I just like checkering better. I'm sure they could do that as an option. I'd like to see and feel the smoked nitride finish before passing judgement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links