Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Top Picks for 1911A1 Repro’s?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AEROCOLOR View Post
    I'm really happy with the RIA G.I. 1911.
    I've owned several, used the frames for other 1911A1 clone builds and retained one as a garage gun for years.
    I usually switch out the grips, lap in the slide if necessary and go shoot.
    Never paid more than $400 OTD.
    There is another brand made in Turkey that is a close clone but I've heard the finish is not durable. Plus I can't get past having the word "Turkey" on the pistol.
    Those are really cheap at around $300.Attachment 680051
    I just read your post after I posted about the SDS reproduction made in Turkey. I have not found any reviews that talked about the finish, but that would be a deciding factor for me, so Iím really glad that you mentioned finish. The gun looks really really good as a replica. However, Iím getting one to use.. I donít know if the finished is parkerized , or cerakoted to look parkerized. Iíve seen two different UPC codes and one costs a bit more. Wondering if theyíve come out with a new sturdier finish, because nothing appears different about the gun. I hope they have because I donít want a gun thatís gonna look silver shiny metal with a few times in and out of a holster or something.
    Last edited by what would you say; 02-08-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    ei8ht, krag96, JTom and 2 others like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    The now out of production GI Springfield. I believe had ser# beginning with WW was very close. I think made in Brazil and assembled in US.
    krag96 and halfmoonclip like this.
    Feedom ain't Free!

Member #
    Liked
    779 times
    WWYS, thanks for the info on the SDS! Wasn’t even on my radar but as far as looks go, they pretty much nailed it and like you, I can’t find anything but positive reviews in terms of function and reliability. Turkish or not, it’s definitely at the top of my list at this point. I’ve owned/own both SA and RIA 1911’s and have had nothing but good experiences all around with both manufacturers. But both of them leave a few things to be desired in terms of design details on their 1911A1 repros. Like many in this market, I purchased an original WWII GI, shot it a little...really enjoyed it...then decided I didn’t want to dog it out anymore than necessary. Thus, the search began for a low cost, non appreciating/collectible, alternative.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    You could assemble a clone but it's tough to do under $500 using an original slide and a few vintage parts.
    I've done a few and they're fun to shoot.20191124_213343_1581219298760.jpg
    krag96 and ussmanlovede36 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1695 times
    Well, since this is the Colt forum...I bought this 1911A1 Colt re-issue without box or papers. It had been fired, but not very much. I added some USGI parts, and I ended up with a genuine Colt, with a lot of GI parts thrown in for authenticity. Grips, mainspring housing, slide stop, safety, trigger, grip safety, firing pin and extractor were added. It's a great shooter, and looks pretty good, too!
    Bob

Colt "repro" with a 1943 original (top). Hard to tell them apart
    Last edited by OIF2; 02-08-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4574 times
    Its a shame that the Essex frames and slides are no longer available. Granted you can't assemble one for less then the cost of a whole pistol.

I do not have the Auto Ordnance anymore and must have deleted the pictures:
    https://www.auto-ordnance.com/auto-o...e-1911-pistol/
    krag96 likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Here's one with a Brazil marked (Embril) slide, Sarco bbl, Ebay parts and Essex frame. About $300. Great shooter.20190128_104739_1581229939308.jpg
    krag96 and ussmanlovede36 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2422 times
    I have one of the discontinued Springfield Armory GI Models. It does have the WW serial number prefix and a date stamp of 2011 under the stocks which I thought was kind of cool.
    I bought it very lightly used for around $500 OTD a few years ago. I added a set of fully checkered walnut stocks, replaced the internal lock system mainspring housing with a WWII Remington Rand assembly with a new mainspring and a wide spur hammer from EMC. It has been 100% reliable with hardball, which is all that I have tried in it so far and is probably more accurate than I can hold given the tiny GI sights. It was hard to overcome my prejudice and buy a non-US made M1911A1 type pistol but the Springfields have a good reputation. I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Rock Island or a Tisas version regardless of the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7841 times
    While marketed as a WWI repro I think it's worthy of a look . GI's were definitely carrying a lot of 1911's during WWII .
    Colt's latest entry O1911M .

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/1911-black-army
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17230 times
    Here’s the box label of which Mitch mentioned above. I thought the label name is more accurate to what the gun is.. “military retro”. Since several things on the gun are A1 improvements of 1926. But regardless, it makes it little more like a WWII gun I think.

🔫 WWYS

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links