Colt 1903 slide problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Colt 1903 slide problem

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt 1903 slide problem

So i reassembled my 1903 after parkerizing it. When i put on the slide and pull it back it gets stuck to the rear. I have to slap it forward to put it back in place. Im thinking maybe its getting hung up on the hammer somehow even though its in the down position? Maybe the slide blocks getting hung up on it?

Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    It is simply protesting its new gray clothes, wishing it had been left alone in blue. LOL

But, if it has been assembled correctly, it perhaps just needs to wear some of the new finish along the rails to once again slide smoothly. Cycle it a bunch, and see if it starts getting better.

Pics, please! Thanks.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4627 times
    1903 Model M or 1903 Pocket Hammer 38?
    Probably the rails - try oil and see if there’s any difference.
    Rarely the disconnector or hammer
    ei8ht likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Its a 32. Ok ill try sanding down some of the finish in the rail areas and use some grease to see if i can get it to better fit

Member #
    Liked
    7027 times
    Grease is best for sliding surfaces that carry a load (slide rails), especially if parkerized. Use a thin coat of lubriplate or lithium grease. The problem should go away after a box of ammo, I bet.
    ei8ht and deyomatic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    was there a binding issue when it was just the slide and the frame, sans all the internal parts?

it might be worth taking back down to full dis-assembly and see what is binding ... if it was the rails, would likely see evidence of the area
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So when theres nothing installed its just the bare bottom and slide its totally fine. But when i have a completed bottom and still a bare slide it seems like the firing pin housing part is getting held up in the hammer or disconnector area. Now when i put the barrel and guide rod and spring in its very very tough to get on and get the barrel rotated properly to have it all fit together. Then when it finally does and i charge the slide it gets stuck at the rear. I give it a little tap and it slides back into battery.

jar

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickc8 View Post
    So when theres nothing installed its just the bare bottom and slide its totally fine. But when i have a completed bottom and still a bare slide it seems like the firing pin housing part is getting held up in the hammer or disconnector area. Now when i put the barrel and guide rod and spring in its very very tough to get on and get the barrel rotated properly to have it all fit together. Then when it finally does and i charge the slide it gets stuck at the rear. I give it a little tap and it slides back into battery.
    Try shooting it. Start as usual with one cartridge, then two and work up to about five in a magazine.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
    Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    OK, you got me curious on this so I field stripped my 1903 shooter ... did not strip the receiver.

With the receiver and the slide sans barrel, spring and guide rod, the slide does hit resistance when going backwards and hits the disconnector, and forward too when it hits. if you move it slowly, it really stops on the disco. If you the slide moving at a good clip, it just snags a little.

If I then just install the barrel in the slide, it cycles a little more easily since the total travel is reduced a bit and keeps me from over traveling it.

And then with the springs back in the barrel, similar but just need to overcome the recoil spring.

IMG_0877.jpg

Are you placing the recoil spring guide rod towards the rear of the receiver?
    1903joe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Even without grease it shouldn't but stuck, Maybe some friction but not stuck.
    Last edited by oldcoltheart75; Today at 02:21 AM.
    1903joe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links