Series 70 M1911A1 satin nickel finish problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Series 70 M1911A1 satin nickel finish problem

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Series 70 M1911A1 satin nickel finish problem

I bought this gun about 1982, and stored it for years in a padded soft case with felt lining. The finish appears to have taken on an uneven dull look, I assume from absorbed moisture. Ugh. It is now in a humidity-controlled safe.

Am I just hosed, or is there a way to restore the finish? Also, a local gunsmith told me I should stop shooting this gun because it has some value. It came new with the wraparound rubber pachmyer grip. He also refused to install adjustable sights for the same reason. Agree? Disagree? I live in CA where Colt 1911s are off the roster, but I took his advice and got a stainless Series 80 for use at the range.

Thanks for any and all advice, Eric
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1602 times
    I'll assume you maybe talking about one like this; Model 01975 Colt MKIV/ Series 70 Government in Satin Nickel with Blued/ Black small parts. You can clean the Satin finish somewhat using a CLP like Remoil and gently scrub it using a soft toothbrush.

These are not super rare or scarce but do have some collectability value. Bottom line, its your pistol so if the gunsmith won't do the work you want go elsewhere. Good luck

IMG_1820.jpgIMG_1821.jpg
    Last edited by Lonestar57; 02-12-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1030 times
    I had the exact same gun...bought it in 1987 for $350 used. I noticed when I 'oiled" the gun or wiped it with an oil cloth it got a dull look to it. I wound up only wiping down the blue steel parts, as well as, of course, lubricating the internals. Perhaps try a little denatured alcohol on the gun to get rid of old oxidized congealed oil, and see what she looks like.
    up196, ei8ht and ohr61 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mine is a a Mk IV Series 70, but has no blued parts. It is all satin nickel. I'll post a picture if I can figure out how 🙂 would a serial number or other markings help?

While I'm here, I was watching a video on Amazon called Colt M1911--100 Years of Service, showing the production of pistols. They appeared to be making Series 70 and Series 80? Are Series 70 still in production?
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1071 times
    I have owned this Satin Nickel Commander since 1978. On occasion when it started looking dull and ratty, I have used a drop or two of a mild toothpaste on a soft rag to lightly buff the finish. I emphasize that I LIGHTLY buffed the finish. DON'T OVERDO IT! I got this idea from some old guys at the gun shows that used this method to clean up their guns for display.

Member #
    Liked
    1602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliderboy195t View Post
    Mine is a a Mk IV Series 70, but has no blued parts. It is all satin nickel. I'll post a picture if I can figure out how 🙂 would a serial number or other markings help?

While I'm here, I was watching a video on Amazon called Colt M1911--100 Years of Service, showing the production of pistols. They appeared to be making Series 70 and Series 80? Are Series 70 still in production?
    Yes, Colt re-introduced a Series 70 type (no firing pin lock system) pistol but it will not have the small sights or collet barrel bushing which was standard to the original MKIV/ Series 70 models.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2727 times
    The Colt Classic is a series 70 type, model # is O1911C.DSCN0849.JPG OP if I had your gun I would leave it factory original and take it shooting.
    Last edited by ussmanlovede36; 02-12-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    ohr61, oberon and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4741 times
    There are 2 excellent step by step picture posting "Sticky"s in the Photos Area Forum. Look for them in the top half of the main page in that Forum.
    Colt-SL and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    976 times
    MMC is out of business but there is a company that makes MMC style adjustable sights for Colts with the nub front sight. That way you are not permanently altering your gun.
    Rick Bowles and ei8ht like this.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    10559 times
    Use 'BreakFree CLP' and lube it heavily for a couple of days, then use an old t-shirt or cotton towel to briskly wipe it down - the lube will get under whatever is causing the dullness and lift it away.

As to shooting it - by all means, do so - there are thousands of them out there, and it'll be a long time before they rise in collectability - besides, they were made to be shot, and it doesn't hurt them.

If you find the MMC sights, installation requires filing a flat at the rear, and if the original is reinstalled, that flat 'will' be visible.
    Last edited by dogface6; 02-12-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    ohr61, Rick Bowles and ei8ht like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links