Colt Customer Service
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Colt Customer Service

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Customer Service

Hi I bought a colt defender back in 2013 and had barely shot it maybe 200-250 rounds and found last time i cleaned it that the plugger tube was loose so i called custoer service and asked them about it and they said it had a one year warrenty for a 1000.00 gun just showed me how much they stand behind their products is this their normal policy?

Member #
    Liked
    4684 times
    On the Colt MFG website under Frequently Asked Questions it's stated that they have a 1 year warranty to the original purchaser. I believe it's been like this for a long time.
    Although frustrating for anyone, fixing a loose plunger tube is second nature to a gunsmith. I wouldn't think the fix would be expensive. On the plus side would be that you would have it fixed long before Colt would have it done based on what I've read about Colt's Service Dept wait times.
    ohr61, ei8ht and JohnnyP like this.

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Sorry to hear! I did not know it was only a year.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Feedom ain't Free!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16481 times
    Suppose Colt had a 5 year warranty, your gun would still be too old. I'm sure Colt will fix your pistol for a fee. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your repairs. I hope you have some positive Colt related post to share.
    ei8ht, ohr61 and Kerz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1113 times
    The warranty policies vary quite a bit across the industry. For example, Colt and Kimber are 1 year, Sig, Glock, Springfield, S&W have limited lifetime, and Ruger stands behind their products.
    Vic
    ei8ht and ohr61 like this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Perfect example why you need to shoot every gun you buy as soon as you can.
    Kerz and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4577 times
    They must have changed their policy. We sent a Defender back with a cracked frame and Colt replaced the frame no questions asked. But this may have been 20 years ago.

Restaking a plunger tube doesn't always work. Its not that big a deal to replace so I think that any good gun shop that has an actual gunsmith could re-stake or replace the plunger tube.

Another option might be to thoroughly clean your Colt and locktite the plunger tube in place.

EGW; Evolution Gun Works markets a bolt on tube, but I'd be inclined to keep it original.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    648 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HermitHole View Post
    Hi I bought a colt defender back in 2013 and had barely shot it maybe 200-250 rounds and found last time i cleaned it that the plugger tube was loose so i called custoer service and asked them about it and they said it had a one year warrenty for a 1000.00 gun just showed me how much they stand behind their products is this their normal policy?
    Unfortunately I have dealt with any firearm companies ( Winchester,Sig,Walther,Weathrly and Wilson Combat) of over years and found them all willing to solve the issue even if the firearm is out of warranty. Perhaps give Colt a second chance to correct the issue, but wait until the Python firestorm settle down.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times
    Most likely just needs the Plunger Tube re-staked. If so, an easy 5-minute or so fix if you have the right tool. Buy it, use it, then sell the tool on Ebay for a nominal discount. Good luck.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007347274?pid=137021

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1940 times
    I've found they often don't charge for small repairs, but don't advertise that fact.
    USMC Veteran
    31 Year LEO
    NRA Life - Benefactor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links