New guy has no idea what exactly "Colt Rock" grips are
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnnyP

Thread: New guy has no idea what exactly "Colt Rock" grips are

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

New guy has no idea what exactly "Colt Rock" grips are

Good evening everyone, I am new here and I figure that I would start off with asking questions to try and gain some knowledge on this particular subject. I recently acquired a Ithica slide/ Colt frame mix pistol and according to pictures off of coolgunsite's 1911 gallery, I believe that I have an original set of these so called colt rock grips. The grips have the concave cavity without the reinforcement ribs that you see in Keyes grips, and there is a "5" on the inside of the left grip with a "8" on the inside of the right grip. If this information helps, the frame is a 1941 R.S. and all of the parts on the frame look like they are correct (I don't know much yet, but I am learning) with the wide spur hammer, checkered curved mainspring housing, checkered slide stop, small frame parts look blued, etc..The grips were practically glued onto the frame with all of the dried grease that was under them (the entire gun had a thin layer of dark brown dried out grease caked on the inside that I had to scrape off with my fingernails, plastic picks, and brushes after letting it sit with some Ballistol soaking on the dried grease and grime, so I feel that the entire gun has been in this configuration for quite a few years). Here is a picture of the inside of the grips if that helps. So, what exactly are these grips? Are these colt rock grips? Are they rare? Are they correct for a 1941 R.S. in the 750K serial number range? Are they any more valuable than Keyes grips? Any information on what I have here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    12570 times
    The "Coltrock" stocks do not have mold numbers, but the small ring hollow back "Coltwood" do. The Coltrock proved too brittle for stocks on the Model 1911A1, and Coltwood was used.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you JohnnyP for the response! I wasn't sure if they were or weren't coltrock grips since I have heard coltwood and coltrock tossed around online a bunch and it was confusing me since I know nothing about them right now.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links