JSB Came my way
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: JSB Came my way

Member #
    Liked
    63 times

JSB Came my way

Was lucky to get a JSB from the CMP Auction and surprised at what I got. It appears to be original parco-lubrite finish. It does not have any arsenal rebuild stamps. It has the Type 6 “Colt 45 Auto” stamped barrel with a “7” forward of the lug which is correct. It has correct Type 7 Coltwood grips. It has an ordnance stamp.

Member #
    Liked
    5605 times
    Ken,

It may just be the images, but that doesn't strike me as original Colt Parko-Lubrite finish.

Here is a late JSB...literally didn't even arrive in the shipping room until the very last day. It is original Colt Parko-Lubrite finish and appears to be all original, including the matching wear pattern Colt boxed C barrel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Very Nice. i love the finish, looks old and yet cool.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Scott,
    It’s probably the iPhone photos, perhaps I’ll bring it to the Colt Show in Scottsdale. It’s finish appears consistent with a 229K pistol I own. Sorry to see Paul had no record of yours. Robin asked me if I’d get a Colt letter on mine. Maybe I’ll give Paul a call

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I can say with certainty that the finish is not factory original. A scarce gun nonetheless.

Member #
    Liked
    5605 times
    Some of the late serial numbers are hit and miss. But it is still worth a shot on the letter. The letter I did get on 2365574 confirmed the gun was shipped in the last shipment of 763 guns to SA, as the production records noted the gun didn't arrive in the shipping room until the day of the last shipment...18 September 1945. So be sure to request info from the production records, too.

As noted in Paul's letter, shipping records for some serial numbers were either lost or destroyed. But the production records often can give you the information you want, as in this case. The "production info" letter gave us the 18 September date.

Here's a letter on another of my JSBs from the last day shipment. Oddly enough, it's a much later serial number, but they still had the shipping info on it in the files.

I'm not sure if we'll be in Scottsdale this year. But if we are, I'll look forward to seeing your pistol.
    ei8ht, RSColts and Hootch56 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Curious as to your use of the word “certainty!”

Two thing that make me believe it may be original.

1. Consistent with my 1945 msgd Colt. A 2390k serial number gun

2. CMP states the finish is as rec’d from the Army. They did not refinish! Original grips, barrel and small parts. What are the odds? Finish is dry and they suggest oiling.

Little is known about JSB’s work or tenure at Colt. Certainly made after VE & VJ was celebrated. JS Begley was a civilian and the guns are scarce.

You may be right ... I know nothing of 1911’s other than having at least two of every manufacturer and one of every year and NOW Inspectors.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Scott. Great letter. Try and make Scottsdale. Hopefully it will draw many Colt owners from California who’ll have a chance to bring their good STUFF.

Member #
    Liked
    12606 times
    Late GHD Colt with lightly sandblasted receiver, and slide not sandblasted.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    The edges are not sharp. Metal finish is a bit too rough from blasting (even for a late blasted 1945 colt). I see some pits or flaws still showing through as well. The color is too cool-gray for parko. Lack of temper color on front of slide, and exaggerated temper tone on latch notch. All these tell me it's refinished. It is a great refinish though. Markings are still good, parts appear correct.

Its a great, scarce gun. I like it!
    RSColts and Hootch56 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links