Help.. Looking for a Model 1903/8 Barrel???

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help.. Looking for a Model 1903/8 Barrel???

After finally getting my old man to wake the heck up and consider buying a firearm before they try to take them away, We got to talking about his naval service side arm from Vietnam. I can confirm with about 90% certainty that it is a Colt Model 1903/8 in .32 ACP... even has some ammo in it from about that time as well. Unfortunately though, my father never introduced his three sons to the world of firearms, and their importance. Now about 30 years later, and a NDAA bill getting signed into law, he is starting to come around. When My brothers and I were still small, my father thinking about our well beings dismantled his Colt 1903 and destroyed the barrel.

As I am sure that you are shaking your heads right about now, I would like to request your help.

He still has the pistol intact, except for the barrel which was thrown into a FOB Furnace at a steel mill melt shop.
    I was wondering how POSSIBLE it might be to get a new barrel for it? How expensive might it be?
    I am just looking to restore the pistol into working condition so that it might find some use again....

Thanks for your time and efforts!!
    d6712959805691746bda8dd5dff32c22.jpgpicture 540.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg001_colt_1903_pocket_32_13605_left.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
    Last edited by DaingMaing; 01-04-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3867 times
    If the gun is chambered in .32ACP, it is a Model 1903, not a Model 1908. Since these guns were often shot with corrosive ammunition, which destroyed barrels if improperly cleaned, there are aftermarket barrels made for them. Someone here probably knows a source better than the always unreliable Gun Parts Corporation or Jack First, but you might check there. An original barrel might be found, but it would be difficult and probably expensive to the tune of a few hundred dollars.

The treatment of this pistols illustrates the irrational gun phobia that some have. Just removing the barrel and hiding it would have accomplished the same "safety" result. Sad.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    You will need to know which model you have. I, II, III, IV. Some can still be found. Might take some time. Thanks, Joe

COLT 1903 POCKET BARREL 32 MODEL M .32 NICKLE 7.65 : Pistol Barrels at GunBroker.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    [QUOTE=jbs4570;305125]You will need to know which model you have. I, II, III, IV. Some can still be found. Might take some time. Thanks, Joe]

It has a serial number of 207665 and an "R" stamping in the trigger/finger guard... I'm not sure what that might equate to, but I am wondering how to determine whether it is a I, II, III, or IV....

Any and all help is greatly appreciated... Thanks for the help guys, and keep it coming!!!

UPDATE

Just did some digging and found the model number and was wondering what the magazine safety looked like? The model four had no serial numbers listed on the wikipedia page, and according to the info that there might be only 692 with this feature?!?

The serial number ranges for the specific model numbers are a bit off on the web page; ALTHOUGH it will not concern this pistol, it would seem that some of the information is wrong on the website... I guess that I am just looking for confirmation of my pistol being a model III and some more places I might call and / or visit on line? THANKS fellas...
    Last edited by DaingMaing; 01-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    You 've got a Type III. Suggest you refer to the Lisker website. He supplies a wealth of information. Thanks, Joe

Colt Pistols and Revolvers for Firearms Collectors - Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links