Colt .45 Auto Series 80 Transition Model Info Wanted

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt .45 Auto Series 80 Transition Model Info Wanted

***EDIT Photos added in new reply***

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping that you guys could help me figure out everything that I need to know about my gun (or that can be known).

I purchased a Colt .45 Series 80 as my first gun last year without knowing too much about them (other than wanting a Colt .45). I visited my parents during Christmas and my dad was checking it out/taking it apart with me when he started to tell me that the barrel was flared on the end like a series 70, not a series 80 and that it had a collet bushing instead of a "normal" series 80 one. Beyond that he didn't see anything too unusual about the gun...He thought that this was a transition model but we both didn't think too much about it.

After shooting it and cleaning it outside in the sunlight, I was checking out the slide and something remarkable was apparent...under the COLT MK IV Series 80 mark, there is a very light COLT MK IV Series 70 mark! There is even another prancing horse behind the Series 80 one! If you flip the gun over the Government Model Series 70 mark is apparent as well!

So that got us looking up the serial number, and it appears from the gun value book that my dad has, that this is the eighth gun off the line for series 80 (serial number is correct to the beginning and ends with 007)!

So I'm wondering what I can get from everyone that is a Colt .45 fanatic out there...What other unusual characteristics would there be? Has anyone ever heard about this before (with the slide markings especially)? What else is there to know about the gun?

Finally, I am NOT INTERESTED in selling it as I really like the history of something like this...but I would like to know what the consensus of everyone is on its value.

Thank you for all of your help and information!
    Last edited by jenichael; 01-18-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added Photos

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Series 80 pistols continued to use the collet bushing until around 1988 or so. That's not unusual. However the re-marked slide is. How about trying to get some pictures of said beast for us to see?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, I will try to get some pics up tomorrow (might be really hard to get the marked slide as it is really faint...).

Is there any reason to block out (or not block out) a serial number when I post? I mean, is it safe for that to be out there on threads?

Sorry I am new to all this stuff...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's so awesome to find abnormal items whether they be firearms, coins, cars, or even furniture. I have a Model 11 Riot Gun from WWII that is nicely engraved with ducks, pheasants, etc. but has the smoking bomb & US marked on receiver & short riot barrel. In such a situation I see the shotgun during manufacture when the factory switched from civilian to military production. So you have a really interesting piece of history for sure. Look forward to the pics & other information being shared about your unusual Colt.

Member #
    Liked
    1382 times
    Hi, jenichael, & welcome aboard the Forum. I'm a newbie myself and a long-time Colt Officer's Series 80 owner. I'd like to see your pix, too. Now you've got me wondering about the flared barrel. I've owned mine for 21 years and it, too, apparently has a flared barrel. The bushing I suppose is a "normal" Series 80 bushing, but maybe I don't know what other kind there is for this model. Colt verified that the pistol was made in 1990 and I've done nothing to modify it since I purchased it in 1991. Though I'm not the original owner, it was in nearly mint condition when I bought it and I've faithfully maintained it all these years. I bought it with the original box and owner's manual, which I still have. Shoots great! Hope you enjoy yours, too.

As far as showing serial numbers, well, I've got reservations, too. Some Colt Fans show theirs and I've seen some taped over, etc. I'm not so much concerned about fellow Colt owners viewing my treasures as I am wary of the Feds snooping around where they have no business. Your decision. I'm sure no one will be offended either way.

Colt ACP 12-31-11.jpg
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." --Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Uploading photos to the thread!

Alright. I got some photos up (I did block out the SN...but believe me, according to the book that I saw, it is one of the first 10 guns made).

The only thing that I know that isn't original are the grips...I will be looking for some walnut ones...

IMG_4839.jpg
    Hard to see it, but it is there...

IMG_4841.jpg
    The colt is just to the right and above the series 80 one...

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg
    Can see the series 70 Government Model marking

IMG_4847.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to bug...any info on stuff like this?

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Sorry, I only just got back to this thread. Yup, it sure appears that Colt went and re-used a Series 70 slide for yours. They probably felt that they had completely wiped off the old markings, not seeing that a slight "ghost" image remained.

Interesting pistol, but as you might already be aware the grips have been changed out. They're supposed to be plain chackered walnut w/gold medallions. The pebbled rubber grips didn't show up until 1988 with the Delta Elite, then two years later on all other models.
    Last edited by dsk; 01-24-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links