Colt Bright Stainless Finish Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Colt Bright Stainless Finish Question

Hi guys. I have been wanting a Colt in .38 Super for a while now and I am planning to have my LGS order me one very soon. I already have a Government XSE and 1991 Commander in blue so I was going to try to get my hands on one in stainless. While perusing the Colt website I discovered this 1991 model in Bright Stainless which I have somehow overlooked up until now. I love the look of Nickel plated guns and this appears to be quite similar, so I would really like to get one of these. My question though, is how careful do I need to be with this type of finish? How easy will the Bright Stainless scratch? This gun will not be carried so no worries about holster wear. Would a coating of Renaissance wax on the exterior help at all to prevent marking up the finish? I tend to get pretty OCD about keeping my guns looking good for as long as possible. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide, it is always greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the gun in question.

Member #
    Liked
    8663 times
    I have one and it started developing scratches quite rapidly. I do not mind though because I holster mine and carry it all over the place.

Member #
    Mt. Lebanon. ......... South of 3..Rivers
    Liked
    31 times
    I have not seen a wax that can prevent scuffs and light abraissions.
    "MAAS" is a great polish ( jewelry grade)
    "SIMICHROME" is also a quality product.
    ''Wenol" made in Germany, is one of the best , as it can turn aluminum & stainless from frosty haze , to a high chrome-like luster.
    All these are to restore the mirror - shine ; after the inevitability, of use.
    "Blessed are those who do not expect to succeed, for they shall not be disappointed." - Johnathan Swift

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Ive always liked the look of the bright stainless. I cant stand flaking nickel for some reason, so the bright stainless holds special appeal to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1121 times
    You can polish the bright stainless to return it to it lustrous finish without worrying about doing any damage. You have to be careful with bright nickel about going through the finish.
    +1 for Wenol

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    6531 times
    Stainless is a lot more forgiving than nickel when attempting to remove or lighten scratches in the finish. I use Flitz gently and sparingly. Nickel has a copper undercoat so you certainly don't want to get heavy handed when polishing. I've found that microfiber cloths that one can buy in bulk from auto supply stores or places like Dollar General work very well as do old white cotton socks. The bulk microfiber are cheap enough that I don't even mess with washing them once I've gunked em up but rather toss the old one and grab another.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I think that bright stainless is far more forgiving than any nickel plated gun, and obviously Colt agrees as they replaced their nickel Pythons with bright stainless.I also have found that the hard plastic holsters like Blackhawks do not scratch the BSS guns. If they do get scratches it is very easy to buff them out though with care and hard plastic holsters that has never been a problem. IMO Wilson shock buffers should be used even on a SD gun but changed every 500 rounds.

Member #
    Liked
    648 times
    I fell really hard for the Colt .38 Super in Bright Stainless with the 100 Years of Service roll mark for 1911-2011. I saw it at the SHOT Show and had to have one. Tracked one down and paid full retail $1250 for it. I absolutely love it! I shot the daylights out of it too and it's a mighty fine shooter. Dead on at 15 yards with terrific sights (the only thing on the gun that isn't polished stainless).

My grandfather had a set of mother-of-pearl handles he never put on a gun, then my dad had them and never put them on a gun, and now I have them. I put them on this Colt and they look very handsome to my eyes! I swap them out with the factory grips when I shoot the gun.

It goes to the range in a zippered case, gets shot, then gets cleaned. It looks as good as the day I got it. Concealed carry in a kydex holster with the grip banging around on chairs and seatbelts and stuff would probably cause some dings and scratches. But if you're relatively careful, it will be a great shooter and look awesome doing its job.

"I hope your fingers aren't ticklin' my ivory handled Colt." (Paden in Silverado)

Member #
    Liked
    8663 times
    mm6, that is one of the few guns that look good with MOP grips that I have ever seen. Maybe look into some fakes for when you shoot it? Patton would be proud lol

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mm6mm6 View Post
    I fell really hard for the Colt .38 Super in Bright Stainless with the 100 Years of Service roll mark for 1911-2011. I saw it at the SHOT Show and had to have one. Tracked one down and paid full retail $1250 for it. I absolutely love it! I shot the daylights out of it too and it's a mighty fine shooter. Dead on at 15 yards with terrific sights (the only thing on the gun that isn't polished stainless).

My grandfather had a set of mother-of-pearl handles he never put on a gun, then my dad had them and never put them on a gun, and now I have them. I put them on this Colt and they look very handsome to my eyes! I swap them out with the factory grips when I shoot the gun.

It goes to the range in a zippered case, gets shot, then gets cleaned. It looks as good as the day I got it. Concealed carry in a kydex holster with the grip banging around on chairs and seatbelts and stuff would probably cause some dings and scratches. But if you're relatively careful, it will be a great shooter and look awesome doing its job.

Man, that's the ticket! I would love to find a BSS model laying around my LGS someday...
    I recently sold my 1957 4th issue GM, polished nickel, Super 38 that was like new.
    I'm now looking for a BSS so I can shoot it.

That is a beauty, especially with those real pearls. You're a lucky guy to have
    obtained those from your Grandad, and Dad. I don't care what Patton thought about MOP.

Good Luck!
    NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links