• 1 Post By kriegsmarine
  • 1 Post By JohnnyP
  • 1 Post By Abwehr

Thread: US Army Ord bill of sale with rebuilt .45

Member #
    Liked
    509 times

US Army Ord bill of sale with rebuilt .45

A week or so ago I looked at a transitional model Colt that had the wrong slide and was refinished. Price was way high, approaching $4,000. The owner contacted me yesterday with a much reduced price and has added two items that he found with the pistol.

First is a bill of sale with the following crude stamp at the top, the BOS is dated in the early 60's:

u.s. army ordinance major supply management agency
    chambersburg Pennsylvania

The second item is a pretty nice TexTan holster. I think I have a handle on the value of the holster, but what would the bill of sale add in value to a rebuilt/mis matched .45? I was thinking $50, is that reasonable or am I way off?

Bob

Member #
    Liked
    10740 times
    It really depends upon the overall condition of the piece, and if it was an Ordnance rebuild, or if it was something that had been commercially refinished.

If it's an Ordnance rebuild, then the mis-match of parts is to be expected - as is a refinish, because Uncle Sam really didn't care that some future collector might want the piece to remain intact - he wanted it to be 'combat serviceable', so that's what he did.

Coming out of Chambersburg in the 1960s meant that it was 'probably' a DCM pistol - perhaps sold through the NRA - perhaps not.

Best case scenario - it's an Ordnance rebuild, and it has the original Government Bill of Sale - as such, it has less value than one with original finish, but it 'is' popular, and someone will chime in and he more than happy to price it for you.

TexTan made good holsters, too - well-built and sturdy, if they're still tan and clean and not over-oiled, they're sought after.

Get photos.
    Last edited by dogface6; 09-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Wrong slide and refinished??? Unless it is shooter priced, run from it.
    Collects likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    I think it's shooter priced...but what is that these days without the holster or letter? I think the holster should be $50+, but not sure what the letter would add.

Member #
    Liked
    10740 times
    What's the price and what finish does it have?

If the piece has been commercially refinished - then the Bill of Sale adds 'something' but relatively little, as the piece retains nothing of its originality of when it was Uncle Sam's property, but if the piece has been parkerized and shows rebuild marks on the frame - then that's a much different story, because 'that' is how it left the Government's hands initially, and stayed that way.

Can you get a couple of photos - clear ones, showing any slide/frame markings?

Member #
    Liked
    12571 times
    Being mis-matched, phosphate finish, WWII style stocks, and if the bill of sale has the pistol's serial number, that goes a long way in proving that it is a government facility overhaul. Value still depends on how nice the pistol remains. If nearing 100% of the phosphate finish the price could approach $1500. If worn, the value of rebuilds drops off rapidly.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1605 times
    I like the US Military Arsenal refinished 1911s, and have two of them; a RIA and an AA rebuild. Both are in about the same condition at 97% and I only paid an average of $1100 for the each one. To me, any added value for the holster would be approx. $50 for holster and $50-60 for the Shipping Papers. I am watching another 1911 reworked at AA and the price is $1150.....I am waiting to make an offer if it does not sell soon since it is only approx. 93% condition. Here is a photo of the RIA rebuild that I paid $1050.

1911_01.jpg
    haggis likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links