Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Password

Thread: Woodsman, what is this?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Woodsman, what is this?

Hello!
    I just bought this one. Haven't seen it yet, just theese two pics and a story.
    Obviously in very nice condition, it was only shot a few rounds in the 50's, supposedly..
    Serial is
    919xx.
    That's in a range of numbers found both in gen I and gen II, 1936 och 1951.
    Dealer says -51. But, to me, it doesn't look like a gen II?
    What is your opinion?

Colt V.jpgColt H.jpg
    brugmanncues likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    It looks to be a 1st series to me from the mag holder at the bottom instead of the side of the frame. Also by the grips used. It looks to have been nickel plated, but was it a factory job or aftermarket job....who knows except Colt. What's really got me are the stamps or proof marks on the slide, frame and barrel. I've seen pics of German proofs on Woodsmans, but this isn't like them. I would definitely shell out the money for an authentication letter from Colt on this one, but that's just me Absolutely beautiful piece! I would definitely like to hear what preWoodsman and/or Bob Rayburn has to say on this one. According to proofhouse.com, the serial # falls in the 1934 range. '34 starts at 88000 & '35 starts at 93000...so possibly a late '34 1st series?

I grabbed this off of colt22.com just for comparison:
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by brugmanncues; 06-26-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: info

Member #
    Liked
    2369 times
    I think the color is just from the lighting or exposure, it's probably blued. The foreign proof marks are Belgian or Austrian, as evidenced by the PV on the slide near the Rampant Colt. We need close ups to be sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4439 times
    Welcome to the Forum.
    You have a nice 1st Series Sport Model there. The serial# dates it to about 1934. Looks to be in very nice condition and it has spent some time in Europe.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1032 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Password View Post
    Hello!
    Obviously in very nice condition, it was only shot a few rounds in the 50's, supposedly..
    Serial is
    919xx.
    What is your opinion?

Colt V.jpgColt H.jpg
    I would like to be the second person to welcome you to the Colt Forum.
    I recommend you click on Bob Rayburn's most excellent "Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide" at...
    22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman
    A wealth of information has been published by Bob with hours of reading pleasure.
    The lack of mechanical features, your serial number, barrel length, frame design, grips/stocks and roll marks all depict and or describe a 1934 "1st Series Woodsman" Sport model.

Blue in finish, your example appears to be in excellent condition.

The proof marks are better left for others to decipher and unless a collector of such, to many folks, they do not add value. By lettering the pistol you may add a more colorful story to the pistols travels but perhaps not value.
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 06-26-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2003 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Password View Post
    Hello!
    Serial is
    919xx.
    What is your opinion?

919xx (1934) is NOT the same as 0919xxS (1976) nor is it the same as 919xx-S (1951). The Colt look up and another popular SN look up database both fail to take the leading zero into account. The trailing suffix is also significant.

I have had a few with foreign proof marks, and some people care about that, one way or the other. Personally I'm neutral on that.

Nice gun, BTW.

Bob Rayburn
    Last edited by colt22dotcom; 06-26-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for all replies.
    Ok, it's 1934 then!
    About the stamps, you're right.
    I'm located in Scandinavia, and guns are likley to come via some other european country, so it makes sense. I'll look at them more carfully when i get it. I emailed the dealer about the finnish. Like you said, it tricky to determine with lights and flashes.
    I thought this would be a nice first gun for my kids.. Now, I'm not so sure.
    I'll post some pics and more info.. In about 3-6 months. Thats how long it takes to get a new permit in Sweden... New permit required for every gun.

Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by Password; 06-28-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    3 - 6 MONTHS! Wow, and I thought it was a pain when I had to wait like 7 days before I could buy one. It looks like a nice one and it is still a piece of history there. As long as it's mechanically sound and shoots straight...and YOU are happy with it is all that matters. Looking forward to seeing more pics and your thoughts when you get it. Be safe and have fun shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    10375 times
    Belgian proof marks.

A wonderful first Colt for the kids.

But in that light, give some thought to a Walther P22 - it's cheaper, the sights are better, the grip can be adapted and a multitude of spares are readily available.

Living in Sweden, spares for the Woodsman will be difficult to find - original magazines will be expensive.
    Last edited by dogface6; 06-29-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsored Links