DIY - SAA Action Job
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: DIY - SAA Action Job

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I'm sorry, I did not mean any disrespect to anyone. I was just stating my opinion and what has worked for me. I dont work on others guns, just my own so I guess I'm not as picky with covering my own butt you could say.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    Wrap a piece of popsicle stick/paint stirrer with some 320 or 400 grit and fit it in the slot.
    I'm back in it this morning. Sandpaper ain't going to cut it. I have some steel needle files that just skate across the surface. I sawed away with my diamond crusted needle file for a good bit and didn't make much progress.

Here is a video I shot using an endoscope to give you an idea what I'm up against.

https://youtu.be/U6j94J7RX8s

I worked on all surfaces but the one on the lower right (the face the hand spring slides up and down) the most and just looks like it's frosted some.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    First off, thanks for the effort to show this Bibbyman. My question is, while I realize this type of roughness will lead to a worst feeling action while cocking..............how long would it take to cause enough damage to the hand to cause it not to work properly? Several hundred cocks or maybe a thousand, or even more then that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4057 times
    Gary.
    Hold the hammer with the hand attached outside the gun like you did to check the sear engagement. I bet the hand as it pivots doesn’t contact that area. Might just leave it be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    Gary.
    Hold the hammer with the hand attached outside the gun like you did to check the sear engagement. I bet the hand as it pivots doesn’t contact that area. Might just leave it be.
    Not worried so much with the body of the hand going up and down the rough slot. But the spring sliding up and down is like pulling a shovel across concrete (an exaggeration). With just the hammer and hand with spring in the gun, you can feel the drag.

Maybe the rough surface is intentional to "hold oil"?

Has anyone else seen this in new production Colt SAA?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    Mr. Harton told me a while back that they have been rough in this area for quite a few years now. I realize that this can be felt in the action. I would still like to know approximately (A good guess) how many cocks would it take before damage would occur to the hand or it's spring?

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scstrain View Post
    Mr. Harton told me a while back that they have been rough in this area for quite a few years now. I realize that this can be felt in the action. I would still like to know approximately (A good guess) how many cocks would it take before damage would occur to the hand or it's spring?
    I'm sorry, I took your question to be a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer but at 69, I'll be tickled pink to wear this one out.

I just reassembled with a drop of Mobile 1 oil. The action is much better than when it came out of the box. The only damage done that the little nylon washer for the hammer has came up missing.
    Last edited by Bibbyman; 07-10-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    scstrain likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4057 times
    Don’t forget anything the grease holds: metal shavings, dust, dirt or residue is a bad thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Sponsored Links