[Moved to revolver sec] Who has interesting custom barrel on their colt DA revolver?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

[Moved to revolver sec] Who has interesting custom barrel on their colt DA revolver?

Does anyone have a cool custom barrel on a python, trooper, or m357? I'm curious what people have fabricated in the past.

Pictures please!
    Last edited by d.r.e.; 07-16-2009 at 12:33 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7872 times
    No pictures, but a customer once brought in a Colt Trooper with the barrel shortened to 2 1/2", the front sight re-mounted, the butt rounded off, rear sight rounded off, the hammer de-spurred, and custom walnut round butt grips.

It was very well done by a custom smith in Georgia.

Another was either a Python or Trooper with an octagonal barrel, reminiscent of a black powder revolver, and I also saw a picture of a half round-half octagonal barrel on a Colt.
    Another oddity was a oval barrel with a flat machined on top.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    No pictures, but a customer once brought in a Colt Trooper with the barrel shortened to 2 1/2", the front sight re-mounted, the butt rounded off, rear sight rounded off, the hammer de-spurred, and custom walnut round butt grips.
    Interesting. They remounted the original sight? The rear sight was rounded for carry I assume? Why would they round the butt off? Does that reduce it's profile when carrying as well?

Another was either a Python or Trooper with an octagonal barrel, reminiscent of a black powder revolver, and I also saw a picture of a half round-half octagonal barrel on a Colt.
    Another oddity was a oval barrel with a flat machined on top.
    Huh. The latter was setup to take a rib?

Is there a functional reason to have an octagon barrel? I've liked the looks of them, especially on freedom arms or winchester lever guns, but have no idea if there's any purpose to having one.

Machining an octagon wouldn't be bad, it seems, as long as you could use the bore to locate things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

A1A
    The Searcher

Member #
    Liked
    617 times
    I was tempted by my evil twin to mention pages 126 to 128 in the Kuhnhausen book, but I knew you were serious and it was too soon after your rib incident and foray into .41 caliber. The point is still valid, though, when it comes to custom stuff even in addition to loads. Just lookin' out fer ya.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Ack. Posted late enough didn't realize it was in the wrong section. Am moving to the revolver forum. Apologies!

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7872 times
    They slightly rounded the rear sight base that holds the actual blade.
    The round butt and grips made it more concealable. The original front sight and ramp was reattached.
    As I remember, it was originally owned by a detective.
    This was made up before the 2 1/2" Python or the S&W Model 19 in 2 1/2".
    It was a well done and very effective carry gun.

I've also occasionally seen Ellison sights rounded off for carry.

The oval barrel Colt was not set up for a rib. A front sight was attached to the barrel.
    People just want something different, so you see odd-ball barrels and other custom alterations.
    Some are very well done, some just trash a nice gun. Stay around long enough, you'll see all kinds of weird and wonderful modifications.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Ack. Posted late enough didn't realize it was in the wrong section. Am moving to the revolver forum. Apologies! [Replied to you over there A1A, thanks for your input!]

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Hey DR D --- replied over in the revolver forum. Seems better to ask there since most don't read this section.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Not the best pic, but here are a couple of old colts with work done to them. The one in the middle is a New Service in .45 Colt built for PPC matches and the bottom one is a 1917 that was built for IDPA.
    Last edited by snake charmer; 11-04-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links