• 1 Post By grendelbean

Thread: SAA Screw Caddy

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

SAA Screw Caddy

I could sure use some help finding a post I saw two or three days ago - unfortunately I can't remember exactly which forum or which page - I was taken with the idea of making a simple screw holder for the bench and the posting was that exactly. I guy with some natural craftmanship (moreso than I) had made up a neat and labeled wooden block to hold all the screws from a SAA. Take a screw out of the pistol and put it in the labeled hold on the wooden caddy.
    Perfect! I looked it over and rushed off to start making one for myself. Well, as I said, I am not a natural craftsman and it wasn't turning out as well as I hoped.
    I started looking for the post about the screw caddy or screw jig that I had seen, but can't find it to save myself. I don't remember if it was in SAA, Smithing, or where, but I can't find it. I would like to take another more careful look and copy the good job done on it.
    Does anyone remember that post? Can anyone tell me where to find it? I tried searching and advanced searching the words "screw," "jig," and other words and everything in the world came up but the post I was seeking......

Thought this might be a broad and generalized location to ask the broad question of "Help!" Thanks much. g.b.

Member #
    Liked
    1387 times
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Many thanks. I just couldn't find it. Looking in wrong place (story of my life). This morning I lost the bottom grip frame screw of a Uberti I was working on finishing grips for...... That screw has gone to the alternate universe, 'cause its not here, I swear.
    This simple idea will save me a lot of frustration. I appreciate your heads up and trouble it pointing me. Thanks again. g.b.
    MarkInTx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grendelbean View Post
    Many thanks. I just couldn't find it. Looking in wrong place (story of my life). This morning I lost the bottom grip frame screw of a Uberti I was working on finishing grips for...... That screw has gone to the alternate universe, 'cause its not here, I swear.
    This simple idea will save me a lot of frustration. I appreciate your heads up and trouble it pointing me. Thanks again. g.b.
    Dear grendelbean,

I made the initial post with the wooden jig for screw placement. I hope you were successful in mocking up a jig for your workbench.
    PS one sure way to find the missing screw is to go out and buy a replacement !!! It will then show up. If you make the jig it will come in handy.....good luck

theprofessor
    JohnD56 likes this.
    ....what ? me failed English !!! That's unpossible.

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    Thanks for that clever contribution, theprofessor. Wish I had thought of that many years and lost screws ago.
    Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents
    Oh My!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Just got back from the wood store with a piece of curly maple scrap that I will finish with clear poly. I agree about finding the screw. I immediately (that same afternoon) ordered two sets of Uberti screws priority mail. I continued my search using the methodology of looking in the places it was impossible the screw could have gotten to....... well, either it didn't, or I didn't see it and still can't find it even though the two sets of screws came yesterday afternoon by special post office delivery. I also was convinced the missing screw would show up spontaneously. It did not, and my confidence in sure things is shaken.
    The back strap looks better with a screw in it, and the refinished wooden grip even fits better with the missing screw replaced. But the durn original screw is still missing.
    I am currently working on the threory that it went down the heating vent - which is located 4.83 feet away with a briefcase, the legs of a computer table, and one lazy dog in between the bench and the vent. The HVAC company is coming to give me an estimate on replacing the duct system after I finish examining it for the missing screw. (I might better contact a real estate person in preparation for looking for a new house if that doesn't get it done.) Thanks professor, for the good wishes, and I am still trying. g.b.
    Last edited by grendelbean; 10-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.

RDS

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    To help me find missing parts I took a magnet from an old hard drive and taped it to an old bent arrow. The magnets in hard drives are some of the most powerful magnets for their size. I then sweep the general area where I dropped the part with the arrow. The magnet will suck up any metal near it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Good idea. I have a good magnetic pickup with long handle I used to use at the RC flying field. I'll get that thing out and run it everywhere I can put it. I have pretty well covered the floor all under everything while crawling around on my more than ample stomach with a 770 lumens flashlight. Found BBs, gravel, one dead rolly polly ( Ididn't tell my wife that else she run screaming from the house), dust balls, push pin, old business card from a now defunct bar and lounge and that was about it. I will give the magnet a shot, its worth a try. Thanks again. g.b.
    RDS likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Also check your feet; I got a screw stuck in my boot tread.

Sponsored Links