Colt Forum banner

Resin Ivory: Schregar Lines.

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Ia.redneck 
#1 ·
This is a bottom side of the Resin Ivory GuitarParts and More sells.
Neat stuff!
To me it’s a tad soft but looks really great.

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Like everything else, buy what you can afford and that pleases you. For me that's real ivory and real sambar stag. Not knocking the new available substitutes just a personal observation. I used to buy affordable riflescopes too but now I'm much older, and somewhat wiser.

#4 ·
Much to my chagrin I have a supernatural sense of smell.
Put the grips in question in a plastic sandwich bag and let it sit in the sun for a minute. It’ll smell like tooth.
This Resin has a hint of automotive body filler smell.

Ivory is harder and shows a fracture line somewhere, regardless how perfect.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Thanks Ugly! My customer seemed pleased by the result.
I’m going to try my hand at a set of right-side Steerhead grips.

Looking back up at previous posts someone said they wetted wet/dry paper. David’s online instructions recommend against wetting dark paper. It could possibly discolor the final product is my guess - or maybe is just gets messy?

I used FLITZ on burlap to polish the ones I’ve been making. Burlap has a roughness that’s not too abrasive.

Here’s some tips.
https://guitarpartsandmore.com/GuitarPartsInformation.php?Bone-and-Ivory-Working-Tips-9

#17 ·
Looking back up at previous posts someone said they wetted wet/dry paper. David’s online instructions recommend against wetting dark paper. It could possibly discolor the final product is my guess - or maybe is just gets messy?
I used dark paper on the set I made (because its what I had) and never noticed any discoloration. I was using 3M brand and lots of water. I suppose different brands might have different results.

#14 · (Edited)
More Resin Ivory...

These 1-piece grips really dressed up this already pretty Charcoal Blue Uberti.

I dared not get close to that blue finish - was all done with a tracing and using another grip frame as a slave. They feel good too!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.