• 6 Post By LeverActionBill
  • 1 Post By Jesse Heywood
  • 1 Post By Cypress Sam

Thread: Colt clone (Uberti) cylinder misalignment

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt clone (Uberti) cylinder misalignment

If I've created a monsterous "faux pas" by posting a question about a Colt SAA clone please let me know!! -- RtL

I have a Uberti Cattleman reproduction 1873 .45 LC revolver, which I've had for about a year. I've probably put about 75-100 rounds through it without a problem. Today, at the range, (after shooting about 20 rounds) it misfired. When I checked it out, the cylinder was misaligned slightly so the cartridge wasn't completely centered in the loading gate (and obviously not aligned to fire. Pictures below:

Any ideas what caused this and can I fix it myself?
    TIA!

Member #
    Liked
    4033 times
    Your second photo with the loading gate open and the hammer down is how the cylinder should align.
    If the hammer was at the 2nd notch (the loading notch) it should show an entire cylinder chamber in that window.
    The number one reason of it failing after shooting is by someone releasing the trigger as the hammer is falling. It will catch on the loading notch or the safety notch and break the trigger sear which causes the cylinder to be out of alignment.
    Have a Colt SAA ‘smith check it out and determine how it happened do you don’t do it again and have things repaired. There is other reasons it could have happened, but that’s the most likely.
    Last edited by LeverActionBill; 07-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your help ... I'll be sure to do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    Your second photo with the loading gate open and the hammer down is how the cylinder should align.
    If the hammer was at the 2nd notch (the loading notch) it should show an entire cylinder chamber in that window.
    The number one reason of it failing after shooting is by someone releasing the trigger as the hammer is falling. It will catch on the loading notch or the safety notch and break the trigger sear which causes the cylinder to be out of alignment.
    Have a Colt SAA ‘smith check it out and determine how it happened do you don’t do it again and have things repaired. There is other reasons it could have happened, but that’s the most likely.
    I just learned something. Never had the problem, but now I know not to let off the trigger until the hammer has dropped.

Now if I can remember this 5 minutes from now...
    DeaconKC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have had Uberti’s bypass the bolt so that the chamber was out of alignment with the bore. In my case I started cocking the gun with a quick motion, then slowed down. This started the cylinder rotating quickly enough that it bypassed the bolt. This caused the firing pin to be misaligned with the primer.

In a Colt-type action, the cylinder is slowed primarily by the friction of the hand on the cylinder ratchet. A weak or broken hand spring lets the cylinder spin more freely. If the timing is such that the bolt drops too late in the cycle, the cylinder may have rotated to far for it to engage the notch.

You can check for a broken or weak hand spring and replace if necessary. You can also make the bolt drop earlier in the cycle by shortening the leg of the bolt spring that rides on the hammer cam. The bolt should drop just at the start of the lead-in to the cylinder notch.
    DeaconKC likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links