Colt saa issue with bolt jumping up on half cock
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike722

Thread: Colt saa issue with bolt jumping up on half cock

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Colt saa issue with bolt jumping up on half cock

I've got a SAA from the 1880s that has an issue on half cock: after pulling back to half cock, the cylinder will start to rotate for loading but the bolt immediately jumps into the first cylinder notch it comes in contact with..it locks up correctly at full cock, and seems normal otherwise..what should be the first thing to look for when I dismantle it?
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times
    Forum member Jim Martin can help you.

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    The cam leg tine on the bolt is worn short or the broke off, and its releasing the bolt right away. Need a new cylinder bolt. OR....

Cam on the hammer is not holding the cam leg tine long enough, and is releasing the bolt right away. Need a new cam on the hammer.

Right, it cycles because that bolt can be actuated long enough to release the bolt's hold from whatever lock notch its in when in battery, but its probably dragging on the cylinder most of the way when rotating.
    Last edited by gazelle; 07-26-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2389 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike722 View Post
    I've got a SAA from the 1880s that has an issue on half cock: after pulling back to half cock, the cylinder will start to rotate for loading but the bolt immediately jumps into the first cylinder notch it comes in contact with..it locks up correctly at full cock, and seems normal otherwise..what should be the first thing to look for when I dismantle it?
    You may have to replace the lock bolt with a new one (cost of part is about $45). If you have never fitted a new bolt, then I wouldn't recommend trying. But I often try something else first. Send me a PM with phone number.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links