• 1 Post By prewoodsman
  • 1 Post By prewoodsman
  • 2 Post By porsche

Thread: Woodsman MT slide stop question

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Woodsman MT slide stop question

My slide stop is broken and not repairable. When I looked for a new one I see they are different than mine. Numrich # 185180c. That one has an integral pivot pin. Mine never had an integral pin but instead a stud in the frame and a hole in the slide stop. The stud in nicely machined, blued, and show no evidence of ever having been staked. It was always problematical. Did Colt ever make them like that?

IF not mine was probably a factory error where the slide stop was not properly staked to the pivot pin? IF so I will need to remove the pin from the frame. I was thinking of drilling (in a milling machine) tapping, and extracting with a socket head sap screw. Same idea as the RCBS stuck case remover.

If that fails I can drill the appropriate hole in the frame using the milling machine.

The pivot pin/stud seems pretty hard. Grabbing it with pliers did not mangle it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    Your Woodsman Match Target year of manufacture is most certainly from 1955, 56 thru very early 1957 when the Slide Stop was 2 piece post and lever. The manual/schematic from the period will also confirm my assertion which I will post for viewing. Wear in three location can and will cause a failure fot the Slide to be captured on the last shot fired. Those three locations are the Slides Capture Notch, Slide Stop Lever Capture Blade as well as the Post Mount Hole.
    Replacement is an option yet many want to keep their early 3rd series examples correct and as such I have repaired many back to perfect operation without the necessity of replacement.

Always feel free to discuss the Woodsman Series of Pistols directly via email or phone.

Regards,
    Tom Platt

Parts numbered 24 & 32

3rd Series Schematic - Parts List 001.JPG3rd Series Schematic - Parts List 002.JPG
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 07-29-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    PICARDIE likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Tom,

The board will not let me PM you. My name is Scot. I would like to discuss the issue with you. May I call? What time, and phone number?

I extracted the stud per bad advice. I did not damage it. He thought it was a broken off pivot pin rusted in place. He was wrong.

I can not find a slide stop with just the hole and no pivot pin. I did locate an original one with the integral pin. As a bonus, it is machined, not made from bent up sheet stock. The part that engages the side appears to me made to catch the whole slide notch, not just the outside 30%. I was thinking of using that one. The hole in the frame is 0.6" deep and is 3/36" diameter. Does my plan sound workable ?

It never functioned right with the pivot pin-less slide stop. It only engaged the outside edge of the slide. It chewed up the side. If the machined one will work or can be fitted I would like to try it. I have very significant gunsmithing skills.

Thanks,
    Scot
    831 262 3552 (Pacific time zone)
    831 288 5685 Gmail message machine

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    Scot,
    In short order you phone will ring from a 928 area code.
    Tom
    porsche likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Prewoodsman will fix you right up.
    prewoodsman and PICARDIE like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    Scot,
    Your contact email never came thru.
    The email address for the transmission of support photographs is ...

[email protected]

Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 07-29-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links