Rust recovery - caution ugly!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rust recovery - caution ugly!

Member #
    Liked
    152 times

Rust recovery - caution ugly!

I've never had such a problem. The Uberti Cattleman were stored in unbranded padded cases in a safe with a heater to drive out humidity. None of the other guns in the safe had any rust. And these two, only on the sides of the cylinders. This is the worst side. The only only thing I can think is that the padded cases contained moisture.

I cleaned it the best I could with Chore Boy copper wool and Flitz. While they look much better, there are spots were the bluing is gone and other places where its thin. Fortunately, no pitting. It's hardly noticeable until you look closely. But it bothers me. I'm thinking this winter I'll scrub them up and touch up the bright spots with cold blue. They are guns I use for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Anyone got good methods to recover from an ugly patch of rust?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    434 times
    Most unfortunate!
    I've found Blue Wonder to be a very good product. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006363070?pid=897836
    Vic
    DeaconKC likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Sorry, I have no suggestion to correct your problem except to reblue the cylinders. Have you possibly gotten black powder ash/contamination in/on your pistol cases?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    Sorry, I have no suggestion to correct your problem except to reblue the cylinders. Have you possibly gotten black powder ash/contamination in/on your pistol cases?
    Yes and no. I load and shoot BlackMZ loads almost exclusively. I store and transport these guns in the soft cases to and from Cowboy Action Shooting matches. Here in mid-Missouri it's always humid.

I stopped by MidwayUSA yesterday on way back from a match and picked up a package of 5 of their gun socks. I'll start using them to store in the safe.

I'll look at Blue Wonder. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    To get rid of the corrosion first you have to grind, sand by whatever means necessary to get down to good metal THEN refinish otherwise you are wasting your time. It will return eventually that is a stone cold fact..
    shooter214 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4052 times
    Bibby I came from out east. Awful humidity.
    Heat attracts moisture and unless there’s enough heat to evaporate the moisture it’s only going to make it moister.
    I never liked “goldenrods” and saw my share of badly damaged guns back in PA.
    ei8ht likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22097 times
    If the cases were made of cloth, they should have allowed moisture to escape. If they were vinyl, they probably held the moisture while your heater in the safe accelerated the oxidation. Residue from the powder may have catalyzed or initiated the oxidation. Cases with foam lining are probably the worse.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    They were some kind of cloth but it feels like the padding is probably foam.

Here is the "after" of the same area.

This pair of Cattleman 45s are 5 years old and have been used in many Cowboy Action Shooting matchs. But I have others now that I'm shooting so they don't get shot as often. I shot them one other time this spring.
    DeaconKC and ussmanlovede36 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    587 times
    Also, Brownell's Oxpho-blue will get through remaining rust, but I think the Blue Wonder had a nicer hue when done.
    ei8ht likes this.
    "Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose."
    DeaconKC at surplusrifleforum.com

Member #
    Liked
    8702 times
    The 'after' image is considerably better than the 'before'. You will be OK with a touch-up. Hey, it's a working gun. It's OK to have a gun that looks like areal gun and not a museum piece.
    ei8ht and CHIZ like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links