Stainless XSE single-sided thumb safety?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Stainless XSE single-sided thumb safety?

I have a 2014 made LW Commander XSE stainless finish. The small parts are Colt’s ‘matte stainless’ finish. It came with an extended Ambi safety from Colt.

Does anyone have a part number for the single side thumb safety that would match?
    I think it was around 2015 that they went to a single side safety...

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7871 times
    I don't have a part number, but that doesn't make any difference...... Parts like this are almost never available from Colt these days.
    Colt only sells parts through Brownell's and Midway USA and they very seldom have any Colt parts at all other then some common small parts like pins or screws.
    You might be able to place an order through Brownell's, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

A more viable option is to buy a quality, name brand safety from Brownell's and have it bead blasted to match the other parts.
    It won't be a genuine Colt part but only you'd ever know.

There is one caution on bead blasting stainless and aluminum parts........ Most bead blasters are used for carbon steel parts like car parts.
    If you bead blast a stainless or aluminum part in a common auto garage or most machine shops the air pressure can embed tiny particles of carbon steel into the stainless or aluminum and those particles can rust later, ruining the surface.
    If you bead blast, you need to either have the blaster cleaned out and filled with new blast media, or use a blaster that's used for only stainless or aluminum parts.
    Don't take someone's word for this.

Another factor is the appearance. You get different looks of bead blasted parts depending on the type of blasting media and on the air pressure.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks- I was figuring as much...my first LW Commander, an ‘Enhanced’ version, I had Don Williams work over including an Ed Brown thumb safety, and it looked great.
    That was almost 20 years ago. I can do the blasting and fitting myself now, so I may just go that route.
    It’s a shame Colt quit supporting their own products.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4110 times
    I have a stainless Colt safety, but it isn't the extended type used on the XSE, its the standard post War type that is was/is the most common.

Me, I'd put a blued safety, slide stop and magazine release in it. I did that to a .38 Super GM, but it does have a blued slide. Look good IMO.

Midway sent me a message that the Colt long guide rods were in stock, after waiting who knows how long, so I bought one. But it doesn't come with the spring plug, which has a slightly smaller hole in it then the other brands. I have them on backorder from Brownell's
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7871 times
    I'm not sure what the XSC safety looked like, but If I was buying a new safety I'd take a long look at the Wilson "Bullet proof" models or the EGW versions.
    These are machined from bar stock, not cast or MIM.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Thumb-S...uctinfo/6SNBP/

Thumb Safeties: EGW Gun Parts

Member #
    Liked
    4110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I'm not sure what the XSC safety looked like, but If I was buying a new safety I'd take a long look at the Wilson "Bullet proof" models or the EGW versions.
    These are machined from bar stock, not cast or MIM.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Thumb-S...uctinfo/6SNBP/

Thumb Safeties: EGW Gun Parts
    We do not disagree there.

The Colt safety looked like a GI safety lock but extended in front, but not curved in back.

My favorite over the years was the original Colt type. When they were discontinued I bought the ones from Brownell's, but those got to where they didn't fit right, same with the John Mason.
    I'm left handed so I'm partial to the ambi-safety. I bought one of the EGW but the thump pads are way oversized, in stainless that's okay, but mine is blue so I do not want to trim them down.
    I like an ambi-safety that has a right side with a full bodies profile like the main side, so I'm at the point now that it will be the Wilson Combat from here on out.

I just thought of something, my XSE LWT .38 Super Commander had an STI type safety in it originally, not the Colt type as later XSE pistols. It now has a Cylinder & Slide in it.
    Last edited by kenhwind; 08-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Another vote for the Wilson Combat . I had a single sided 6BN installed this week after the factory ambi had been giving me grief. The color match is very close and functions perfectly. Also recommend Wilsons spring and plunger set.https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Plunger...ductinfo/821S/

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links