Bisley Hammer Stop
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Bisley Hammer Stop

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a 1904 Bisley that is not in the best mechanical condition. So far I have identified a worn bolt, a way to short trigger sear and a cylinder bushing that is allowing a lot of endplay. The question I have though deals with the Hammer stop ledge on the frame, according to Kuhnhausen's book that is what should stop the movement of the hammer and is critical to setting the timing of the gun. On my Bisley it would not stop the hammer until the hammer would be well back and well past the point where the hammer would stop against the backstrap. Is it normal for the Bisley hammer to hit its backstrap well before the hammer stop? The hand seems to be timed well to index the cylinder notch when the hammer is just touching the backstrap.

On a side not if anyone has a line on a Bisley trigger I would appreciate the info. I have a ASM replacement ordered and I know that they can be soft (I have access to hardness tester) and not correct but for 12 bucks it will give me practice fitting and I will not alter anything other than the trigger to try and make it work.

Thanks,

Shawn

Member #
    Liked
    1327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sharab85 View Post
    Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a 1904 Bisley that is not in the best mechanical condition. So far I have identified a worn bolt, a way to short trigger sear and a cylinder bushing that is allowing a lot of endplay. The question I have though deals with the Hammer stop ledge on the frame, according to Kuhnhausen's book that is what should stop the movement of the hammer and is critical to setting the timing of the gun. On my Bisley it would not stop the hammer until the hammer would be well back and well past the point where the hammer would stop against the backstrap. Is it normal for the Bisley hammer to hit its backstrap well before the hammer stop? The hand seems to be timed well to index the cylinder notch when the hammer is just touching the backstrap.

On a side not if anyone has a line on a Bisley trigger I would appreciate the info. I have a ASM replacement ordered and I know that they can be soft (I have access to hardness tester) and not correct but for 12 bucks it will give me practice fitting and I will not alter anything other than the trigger to try and make it work.

Thanks,

Shawn
    Is the "hammer stop" the full cock notch? If so, yes it might cock before touching the upper backstrap. The hand also restricts hammer movement after the lock bolt falls to lock the cylinder.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I don’t think so I believe that the hammer stop is a ledge milled into frame that the lobe of the hand is supposed to hit at the end of its travel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Ok here are some pictures because who does not like pictures lol.

IMG_1174.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1170.jpg

Sponsored Links