• 1 Post By Doug.38PR
  • 1 Post By Doug.38PR
  • 1 Post By Prowbar

Thread: Colt 1851 Navy Pietta repro

Member #
    Liked
    281 times

Colt 1851 Navy Pietta repro

I am trying to fit a new bolt and left bolt arm to my hammer cam. I am merely using a ceramic triangular rod stone I got from brownells to polish the metal and edges. Polishing the slanted edge of the tail that the cam rides back up on and the surface it travels over to snap back into reset position hanging onto the the cam edge for the next hammer pull. (Hope I said all that correctly, if not, i apologize.). I am using Jerry K’s book on SAA revolvers using info from pg 173 forward to guide me.

I’ve almost got it, but the arm doesn’t quite make it over the cam on the return. It is right on the slick edge of a slick edge barely hanging on. To solve this, I have slowly began to increase the radius of the lower part of the arm that hugs the cam by scraping away at the bottom with the triangular edge of my stone to make it slicker and gradually polish enough away so it will completely slide off the cam on return. It appears to be slowly working. As of now, the arm will reset making it completely over the cam when the gun is back together and dryfired or, If I ease the hammer down, I tap the side of the frame slightly with the butt of my screwdriver and it snaps into place

Before I go any further with this, I just want to be sure I’m on the right trail. I don’t want to go too far and overdo something messing up my bolt.

bolt seems to fit into cylinder notches ok with very little polishing on the left side of the head. Timing of bolt lift and drop appears ok.

thank you
    Last edited by Doug.38PR; 09-28-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    You are taking the correct approach.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    You are taking the correct approach.
    Thank you. I’ll patiently keep at it

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Wow. I’ve just about got it. It resets completely now and the timing is good. It fails to reset maybe once or twice out of ten hammer pulls.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    BOOM x 6. Works and fires great. A sum of about 2 hours sitting on the sofa watching tv with the wife while filing on cam and bolt with the stone and constantly taking gun apart and back together paid off.

First time I’ve ever fitted a colt action part myself...and didn’t end up frustrated.

Won’t be expecting to fit Pythons or Official Police DAs anytime soon (hopefully will never have to be done) but at least I now know I can fix a single action bolt.
    Prowbar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    See the results: https://youtu.be/AXjyjD_NJSs

Member #
    Liked
    629 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug.38PR View Post
    See the results: https://youtu.be/AXjyjD_NJSs
    Cool video. Yep 30 grains as you stated in the description is probably the hottest load you can shoot in a Navy. Have seen your comments on other videos as well.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
    Cool video. Yep 30 grains as you stated in the description is probably the hottest load you can shoot in a Navy. Have seen your comments on other videos as well.
    I tried loading right at 30 the other day, put wad in and i almost had to shave the ball down just a tad as it was slightly ticking out of the cylinder just on the front edge.
    That 30 gr, even with a 80 gr ball, is a pretty decent jump on the fromt of the muzzel. Nowhere near a .357 Magnum or even .45 Colt of course. But feels a little bit more than a .380 or even .38 spl.
    People tend to frown on the .36 for defense and compare it to “barely approaching the .380 ACP”. Mike Belivue recently shared this opinion. But I think the gun and round has a great track record in real world vicious determined adrenaline pumping gunbattles that go way beyond Bill Hickok’s legendary status. The Texas Rangers, Terry’s Texas Ranger Cavalry, NB Forrest Cavalry and countless other Union and Confederate soldiers. I think that says a lot.

Maybe we have either misjudged the .36 by comparing it to .380 ACP or we have even underestimated the .380 ACP
    Prowbar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    629 times
    Problem is, they always look at the paper statistics. And they do not tell the whole story. Truth is, that pure lead ball can and will expand upon hitting something hard like a bone. It will create a large wound channel.

The pointed bullets as issued in the paper cartridges had more weight but did not create the damage the roundball did.
    A short flatpoint or semi wadcutter conical under say 20 grains of BP will do a lot of damage.
    Doug.38PR likes this.

Sponsored Links