Lost base pin screw and spring…

Member #
    Liked
    170 times

Lost base pin screw and spring…

My gun is a 3rd gen 1979 44 Special bought unfired in 2018, had grips added and action job done. Fired it earlier this year first time about 50 rounds, no problem. Simple cleaning then second range trip this week. (Been too hot to shoot most of summer) Fired 12 rounds of mild 200 grain hand loads and when unloading found base pin nut on bench and base pin screw and spring gone and unable to locate. Ordered replacement from Numerich.

I’m new to Colts so;
    Questions -
    1. Do base pin screw/nut assemblies shoot loose very often? I've shot Ruger, Standard Mfg. & Uberti SA's in 44 Spl, 44-40 & 45 Colt w/no problems.
    2. What is needed to prevent loss?
    3. Do they need periodic tightening or Locktite?

I have only one useful hand so dealing with them is going to be a bit tricky.

Any advice or tips will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Yeah , these things happen. A drop of Blue (242) or Purple (MS222) . Make sure parts are clean and oil free before use. MS222 is made for small fine thread machine screws(MS) and will come apart a bit easier without scratching things up.

Brownells offers the special 'split tip' or spanner screwdriver bits for the nut.
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links