Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Refinish anaconda top strap

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Refinish anaconda top strap

Hey guys, I want to refinish the top strap on my
    Conda. Can anyone tell me the media type and any tips for renewing the top. Thank you

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8075 times
    I'm not sure what media or air pressure Colt used but here's a few pointers.

First, be CERTAIN the blaster is either one that was used ONLY for stainless or aluminum, or is fully cleaned out and refilled with all new media.
    If you use a blaster that's been used to blast carbon steel the tiny particles of carbon steel will be embedded into the stainless and can rust later.
    One man I knew blasted an aluminum pistol frame in a garage bead blaster that was used for car parts.
    He was astounded when his aluminum frame started rusting.

You'll have to do a careful job of masking everything off so the blast stream won't get on the satin polished areas.
    I think Brownell's sell a special masking tape, or you can do a search online for companies who sell blasting equipment.

Use some scrap metal to practice a little. There's a technique to good blasting you need to learn.

After blasting you'll need to totally clean the inside of the gun because abrasive dust will get inside.
    The only way to do this without full disassembly is to totally cover everything but the area to be blasted with tape and heavy plastic bags.
    Even the tiniest gap will allow dust inside so take some time covering everything.

After blasting apply a coat of CLP Breakfree to the freshly blasted surface to prevent any rusting of the fresh surface.

If you just have a few small worn or lightly scratched areas you can "fake it" by laying a piece of wet or dry abrasive cloth on the area and tap it with a small brass or hard plastic hammer.
    Holding the abrasive absolutely still give it a few taps, then lift it off, move the abrasive so a fresh area is on the damage and lay it down again for more taps.
    The idea is not to slide the abrasive over the surface and ruin the original bead blasting.
    This technique can restore a bead blasetd surface without having to do a full job.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 11-16-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    BMAC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Thanks for the input, I’m gonna try the cloth approach first as most of the finish is there.

Sponsored Links