Police Positive Stocks

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Police Positive Stocks

I was going to remove the stocks because one side is warped away from the frame. When I put the screwdriver to it, the screw peeled half of the head off. What would be the best way to remove the stuck screw? I thought about drilling the head off in a drill press, but I don`t want to ruin the hole. Any Ideas? Thanks.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8075 times
    One technique would be to drill a small hole in the remaining screw and using a very small screw extractor.
    One could be made by filing a piece of drill rod into a triangular shape, tapping it into the hole and turning the screw out.

Another method would be to use a Dremel carbide cutter in a Dremel or flex shaft and carefully grind away the remaining head.
    Then you can just lift the grips off, and use pliers to unscrew the screw shank from the right side grip.

Of these methods, the carbide cutter would probably be the safest and most effective.

Another way is to use a small screwdriver bit or punch placed on the outer edge of the remaining part of the screw head slot and use a small hammer to try to tap the screw around. Once it starts to unscrew it will usually unscrew with little effort.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I had thought about the Dremel with a cutter, But didn`t know if the screw head went down into the stock. Didn`t want to enlarge that hole.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1135 times
    Suggest that, before you try the "tap the screw around" approach, use a Q-Tip or toothpick to put a dab of penetrating oil on the threads of the opposite grip. I prefer KROIL. Let it sit for a while so it gets a chance to work.
    Life/Benefactor Member NRA since 1962, Former Navy Nuclear Weapons Officer, OIC Base R&P Team, OIC Base Armory. Collector, shooter, amateur gunsmith. Life Member NCGCA, Member CCA

Sponsored Links