Screwdriver Bits
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Screwdriver Bits

Member #
    Liked
    4187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
    As mentioned, screw drive tips are like drill bits. They are consumable.
    Especially if you use them like in the picture.

I always keep a few of the bits I use on a regular basis, and if they break I just email Brownells for replacements. There might be better and stronger bits than Magna Tip, but I have yet to find them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    4606 times
    When I bought my first ser of the Brownell's Magna Tip bits their Super Set wasn't available. I mentioned having the Chapman Gunsmith Screwdriver sets years ago it was a good choice but it is limited especially with bits sizes.
    I also had a set of the Bonanza / Forster screwdrivers.

I do have the Grace screwdrivers but these seem to be your basic wood handle screwdriver ground with a parallel tip.

When Brownell's came out with the Super Set rather then buy a whole new set, I made up a list of the bits I thought I'd use the most by using what I already had as a guide, and by looking at the gun we have. When I would place an order I'd buy some bits filling in any gaps as I went over my list. The versatility of the Magna-Tip bit sizes as well as some specialty bits is one of the best features of them.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Heywood View Post
    Ohhhhhh.....I see a third model Winchester 1873 (or76)!!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8424 times
    Brownell's offer the widest assortment of sizes and slot fits.
    They offer so many sizes and thicknesses I've almost never had to alter a bit to fit a screw slot.
    They are one of the few who offer the extremely thin blades to fit older European guns that used very narrow slots.
    Due to the narrow thickness of the blades, these will break more often, but again, Brownell's give a lifetime free replacement.
    All you have to do us email them and they ship a new replacement.

I recommend buying as large a set as you can afford, with a "law enforcement" handle option, then adding bits as needed.
    I also recommend buying both a magnetic and clip-retention handle since you will need both.

Standard Magna-Tip bits, #3 and up......

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod41568.aspx

Magna-Tip bits #1 to #2......

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod425.aspx

I find the Chapman bits not to have a long enough blade section and these can damage slots by stressing the top of the slots. They also won't fit screws in deeper holes without damaging the sides of the holes.

The Wheeler sets are made in China and quality fluctuates too much to trust.
    The place to save money is not on a screwdriver where screws are almost always expensive, and sometimes irreplaceable.

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    Ohhhhhh.....I see a third model Winchester 1873 (or76)!!!!!!
    A rusty 73 3rd model. Recent purchase. I like resurrecting old iron. Keeps me off the streets at night. I have now broken 2 210-3 bits on thisscrew. Soaked in Kroil for a week. Am now trying heat cycles, tapping and more Kroil. The first bit I over-torqued. The second I applied about 1/4 the force. I would prefer the bit break before the screw. The other bits were far softer and from previous projects, I twisted the heads or shank with the hand holder.

Member #
    Liked
    389 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
    I bought my tips from McMaster-Carr Industrial Supply. They are all either Wiha or Wera. Both brands are made in Germany and are very high quality. They run about $2ea.

https://www.mcmaster.com/
    Expensive but the best made.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Recently was looking for an offset screwdriver to remove the trigger guard screws on some Winchester rimfire rifles. Wanted a smaller slot than what you typically find. Ordered both the German types...well made but found the slots were too thick for my desired application. Understand an offset driver is not frequently used. Any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    5997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Heywood View Post
    I found an answer at The High Road forum. Chapman. Made in USA from rolled USA steel and heat treated. https://chapmanmfg.com/pages/gunsmith-screwdriver-sets
    Have a set with 40+ years on it. Broke one of the tinier bits decades ago in my ham-fisted days, but none since. And Chapman pieces may be added a la carte.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird13 View Post
    Recently was looking for an offset screwdriver to remove the trigger guard screws on some Winchester rimfire rifles. Wanted a smaller slot than what you typically find. Ordered both the German types...well made but found the slots were too thick for my desired application. Understand an offset driver is not frequently used. Any suggestions?
    Brownell sells a bit shaping stone. 091-001-625WB. Probably too big for an offset. But you should be able to use a straight-sided bit in a Dremel to carefully thin the bit down.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Just got off the phone with Karen at Chapman at 0940. Very pleasant and took my info over the phone. Said screwdriver set will go out in today's mail and only a $7 shipping charge. Confirmation in my email in less than 2 min. That is how business should always be done!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links