Colt SAA Clone Malfunction???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Colt SAA Clone Malfunction???

Member #
    Liked
    126 times

Colt SAA Clone Malfunction???

My question involves a Colt SAA Clone. Please remove if not allowed.

I recently acquired a Colt SAA Clone in .357. The revolver was build by Hammerli in Lenzburg, Switzerland for import to the US by Interarms of Alexandria, VA. The gun was produced in .45 and .357 in the mid 1970's. Approximately 3,000 of the gun, called The Virginian, were produced. The gun has the 'four click', Colt type action.

The problem on the gun I have is that is both the 'first and second click positions' squeezing the trigger still release the hammer. A dangerous situation to say the least.

I was hoping some the the resident experts on the SAA's would be able to diagnose the problem.

Any advice/diagnosis/suggestions will be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Bob

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Sear notches packed with hard crud or something is broken. Can't say more without looking at the innards.
    huskerbob and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    First click is quarter cock, second click is half cock. On the hammer these notches may have lost their definition and will not completely capture the trigger sear. Or, the trigger sear has peened on the end and wont slip into the notches.

Quarter cock is not a meaningful safety position and if everything else was fine I'm not sure I'd bother fixing it.

You do need a proper half cock.

Hammers and triggers for the Hammerli sixgun are not easily found. You may go most of a year on ebay and Gunbroker trying to spot these parts. You could have the hammer welded up and recut, but for the men who do this work, their machining jig is for the Colt SAA and my guess is there is going to be a meaningful difference on where the cuts are made.

Jager Dakota hammers will work in the Hammerli. The Jager Dakota trigger will work in the Hammerli, as well as the early Uberti trigger.
    Last edited by gazelle; 12-28-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    huskerbob likes this.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    First click is quarter cock, second click is half cock. On the hammer these notches may have lost their definition and will not completely capture the trigger sear. Or, the trigger sear has peened on the end and wont slip into the notches.

Quarter cock is not a meaningful safety position and if everything else was fine I'm not sure I'd bother fixing it.

You do need a proper half cock.

Hammers and triggers for the Hammerli sixgun are not easily found. You may go most of a year on ebay and Gunbroker trying to spot these parts. You could have the hammer welded up and recut, but for the men who do this work, their machining jig is for the Colt SAA and my guess is there is going to be a meaningful difference on where the cuts are made.

Jager Dakota hammers will work in the Hammerli. The Jager Dakota trigger will work in the Hammerli, as well as the early Uberti trigger.
    I have disassembled the gun and there is no significant build up of "crud". Nor are there any visibly broken parts or pieces so I'm assuming, as you suggested, wear.

Would it be logical to start by replacing the hammer and trigger with the Jager Dakota parts you identified???

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    I would start by trying to fit the sear into the hammer notches while the gun is disassembled before I started parts swapping. Since it is apart, how is the trigger/bolt spring?
    huskerbob and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    I would start by trying to fit the sear into the hammer notches while the gun is disassembled before I started parts swapping. Since it is apart, how is the trigger/bolt spring?
    I'm no expert but the parts show some wear as you would expect on a 50 year old gun but none of the parts look to be broken/bent/deformed. Everything looks pretty much like parts that I'm seeing on line. Wish I could give a more definite answer but since I don't have any new parts to compare them with, it's hard to judge the degree to which they are worn.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8587 times
    You might ask this forum who they'd recommend as a pistolsmith for your gun.
    Several members here are well known as Single Action experts and they might be able to repair your revolver.

Since this is a major safety issue I would recommend seeking expert help before using the gun.
    WVCOLT and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    You might ask this forum who they'd recommend as a pistolsmith for your gun.
    Several members here are well known as Single Action experts and they might be able to repair your revolver.

Since this is a major safety issue I would recommend seeking expert help before using the gun.

Great idea!! Any SAA Gunsmiths out there who'd be interested in helping out a fellow forum member??? Not looking for free work, I'm willing to pay for your services.

If you're interested, respond through this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!!!

Bob N

St. George, UT.

Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
    Great idea!! Any SAA Gunsmiths out there who'd be interested in helping out a fellow forum member??? Not looking for free work, I'm willing to pay for your services.

If you're interested, respond through this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!!!

Bob N

St. George, UT.
    Another solution: You can redefine the half cock notch with jewelers files so that it will capture the trigger sear and get back your lost safety functionality. This is not really a job for first timers, though its also fair to there's a first time for everyone who's going to try and become handy at these things....

Jim Martin's gunsmithing colleague Jim Cornwall is down in Kingman AZ, and he is a guy who redoes hammers. Given location maybe that's a good option for you.

As a value vs. expense proposition the sage guidance would be to not get more than a couple hundred deep in repairing this gun.
    huskerbob likes this.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    Another solution: You can redefine the half cock notch with jewelers files so that it will capture the trigger sear and get back your lost safety functionality. This is not really a job for first timers, though its also fair to there's a first time for everyone who's going to try and become handy at these things....

Jim Martin's gunsmithing colleague Jim Cornwall is down in Kingman AZ, and he is a guy who redoes hammers. Given location maybe that's a good option for you.

As a value vs. expense proposition the sage guidance would be to not get more than a couple hundred deep in repairing this gun.
    Thanks! Do you happen to know how I can reach Mr. Cornwall???

bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links