Have you ever taken apart a gun and couldnt get it back together again?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Have you ever taken apart a gun and couldnt get it back together again?

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Have you ever taken apart a gun and couldnt get it back together again?

Because i sure have. few months ago i got this old model vaquero from buds. it had been on their shelf for awhile and was pretty grimy, so i did what made sense to me and completely took it apart for a good cleaning. Ive did this on black hawks before with no problems so i didn't expect any difficulties.

getting it apart was easy. wiped it down good with hoppes and started on reassembling it. I had a video up from Ruger that show the disassembly and reassembly. That video was about 5 minutes long. I fiddled with that revolver for 7 hours. way up into the darkest hours of the night. No matter what i would do, by the time i had the frame back on the gun the cylinder latch was completely dead. the cylinder would freely spin in either direction. it was maddening.

eventually i broke down a spun a story to Ruger to get them to put it back together.

What about you guys?

IMG_0489.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    9515 times
    7 hrs. is nothin'
    I have had handguns apart on my bench for upwards of 2 weeks at a whack before I got 'em straightened out.
    There was really no mechanical problem with broken or bent parts, but one of 'em (a Colt PP.38) gave me exasperation.
    I had a linkage turned over the wrong way and it ran fine minus the grips, but bound up tight with the grips on. I was eerily reminiscent of the time I swapped out the column gear shift on my truck for a floor mounted stick shift. I had to drive it with an upside down and backwards shift pattern until I could figure it out.
    I once lost the 'Jeezis' spring on an NAA mini revolver and had to wait about 10 days for a new one, whence upon I immediately found the 'lost' one with a magnet up underneath in a corner. If that wasn't bad enough, I soon discovered that a human being does not possess the requisite number of appendages and digits to reassemble the little darlin'. I tried every trick in the book before I got it together. Those guns were spread out for at least 2 weeks each.
    There have been other firearms that have tried to interfere with my work, but I always got those right in one session.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Two weeks? Heck, I've got an 1878 Colt in pieces in a box I haven't got around to working on for most of a year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1370 times
    I sure have my friend. You will find that in those situations, You Tube can be your friend too.

rj

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    many times , sounds like a tome for a break and a martini.
    try again in a day or so

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1820 times
    Sure have. Quite a few actually. Took my friends Remington semi-auto 22 apart and cleaned it and reassembled it. Never worked right again. He ended up trading it for a Ruger. Took my Remington Nylon 66 apart without cocking the action (step number 2 in the disassembly instructions). Somehow got it back together but could never do it again. These days unless it is pretty simple I take my firearm to a qualified gunsmith. Good firearms are to expensive to be screw butchered and bubbaed up by me. It is easier for me to go too the gunsmith first then have to go with a sheepish look on my face and a ready excuse (which they have probably heard numerous times before) and a bag of parts. Some folks gave a knack for DIYS projects. I don'tr and I will admit it.
    Last edited by Colt75; 01-03-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I usually don't have that problem. But I generally work on old guns that come from a simpler time.

The biggest challenge was a Parker DH double barrel that was disassembled in an ammo can - with a couple of small parts missing.

Early on I learned to hate guns that were pinned together and multiple parts had multiple functions. Ruger single actions are in that group.

Some friends found a High Standard Sportsman in the bottom of a cardboard box setting on the floor in a basement. It was rusted solid. They asked me to fix it for them. I soaked and worked with it for weeks getting it cleaned up and functional. It still had a timing problem that was going to require taking it apart. I refused on the ground that it would be unlikely I could get it back together again. They took it to a gunsmith who explained the difficulties involved in reassembling the action. But they were excited and wanted him to go on with the work.

Member #
    Liked
    662 times
    Yup.
    I'm sure everyone here has experienced frustration with a Ruger 22 pistol at some point.
    Fought a Savage .22 slide for three days.
    Felt stupid. Of course now I can do it in the dark!
    A Model 39-2 gave me trouble once also.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Sure have. Along with cars, lawnmowers, etc. Finally, I just hire everything fixed.

Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    All the time. More than I should tell! And, as stated above, YouTube can be your friend, or your worst enemy! Every 1911 reassembly video makes it look like the slide stop just "clicks" into place. Of the 4 I have, only the El Cheapo RIA "clicks" back in. When you don't know and it looks easy on the video, you think you're doing something wrong. Wouldn't at least ONE video mention that it can be tricky with a new plunger tube spring?
    Newcoltdude, krag96 and ei8ht like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links