pre war post war official police part swap?

Member #
    Liked
    183 times

pre war post war official police part swap?

I just picked up what was identified as a official police frame on the revolver forum dated about 1943 which from my understanding makes it a prewar. found a few parts kits but they have the notches front site which might make it a post war. reading some info it says the cylinder lock mechanism was changed between the models.
    Can I use the post war parts on a pre war frame? thanks. jim

Member #
    Liked
    4732 times
    You might want to invest in Jerry Kuhnhausen's The Colt's Double Action Revolvers A Shop Manual, which is available from Brownell's and Midway
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    I probably should order it, but I really dont plan on working on too many of these old revolvers. I found it at a swap meet for cheap and just couldnt pass it up.
    I did find a M1917 colt revolver last year and got it to function, and a 1897 new navy in 38LC that needed some attention, so maybe a book would be a good idea. jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8580 times
    See my response in your other post in the Revolvers section.

Bottom line....Buy the book.
    This likely will not work out, but the book will make it more possible.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    well parts came in this week, parts drop in pretty easy but as I was warned, things need to be fitted. the hand is obviously short, it barely catches the ratchet. Bolt drops fine, but the hand will slip off the ratchet, basically the cylinder turns a bit and the hand slips off, pull the trigger again and the cylinder rotates fully and hammer drops.
    I'm not trying to make a functioning gun any time soon. it's just a long term project, something to tinker with. jim

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8580 times
    Have fun, it's an excellent way to learn guns.

Working on a Colt older model DA revolver can teach you a lot about working on other brand revolvers.
    Fact is, a pistolsmith who knows S&W or Ruger often gets into trouble when they figure a Colt is "just another gun" and they can figure it out. When they couldn't is where I got a good bit of work.

Conversely, when a Colt qualified pistolsmith takes on a S&W or Ruger he seldom has any trouble at all.
    All these skills transfer nicely to almost any other pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    got to looking at it again last night, filed the hand a touch where it hits the frame and now the cylinder rotates fine in double action, bolt pops up way early but does release fine.
    now to figure out why the trigger wont release the hammer in SA, got a couple ideas,.just have to open it back up and see if my idea is right.
    going to order a barrel shim, the BC might be a hair large hopefully under. 010. jim

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    filed down the hand a bit, now it works in single and double action. jim

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links