• 1 Post By gothondra
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel
  • 1 Post By Harms Way

Thread: colt 1849 pocket revolver

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question colt 1849 pocket revolver

I just purchased one at auction, and found that the cylinder does not turn when I cock the hammer. What part or parts cause the cylinder to turn and I can I replace the part myself.
    So found out that the spring broke off the hand, have a new spring, but my eyes don't see so well as to try and attach it to the hand, does anyone have a hand and spring unit for sale, I live in Canada, and none of the American companies that make the unit are willing to mail it to me here.
    Last edited by gothondra; Today at 08:55 AM. Reason: update
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2594 times
    The hand is not functioning, which could be just the spring. A new hand would require fitting to get the timing right- not really a job for a novice.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8354 times
    Here's a schematic of a Colt black Powder revolver, in this case an 1851 Navy, which is very similar to the 1849.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...vers/1851-navy

The hand that rotates the cylinder is part number 10.
    The flat spring is crimped to the hand.
    When the hammer is cocked the hand pushes the cylinder to the next chamber.

If the spring is bent or broken the hand will not advance the cylinder.
    If the hand or the hand's pin that fits into the hole on the hammer itself is broken, it also won't work.
    victorio1sw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    You should have checked before completing the purchase.

Member #
    Liked
    844 times
    How confident are you in your own mechanical abilities? If you think you might be able to make a diagnosis and implement a repair, then go for it.

Here is one which I bought which had a problem as dfariswheel partially described above. The pin which fits through the hand and the hammer was not broken on mine, but it was incorrectly installed. So, I pulled it apart, diagnosed it, and fixed it.

Can you do the same? Only you can decide!

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...49-pocket.html

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Most of the guys on this forum know this,... But whenever looking at a Single Action Colt (or any older revolver for that matter) Cycle the action with the muzzle pointing down, Than do it again with the muzzle pointing up,... If it fails to rotate the cylinder when pointing it up but not down, Its most likely the "Hand Spring".... If the cylinder doesn't rotate up or down,... It would be a problem with the hand (and, or the pin) itself. Its actually a fairly common problem.
    Last edited by Harms Way; 01-25-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    cloverleaf likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gothondra View Post
    I just purchased one at auction, and found that the cylinder does not turn when I cock the hammer. What part or parts cause the cylinder to turn and I can I replace the part myself.
    Replacing that spring is no big deal, whether you do it, or send to someone with experience. To put it in perspective, it would take me longer to disassemble/reassemble the gun than to install a new hand spring!!

Sponsored Links