UPDATED...A noticeable gap between Magwell and Rail Gun frame from Colt Custom Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: UPDATED...A noticeable gap between Magwell and Rail Gun frame from Colt Custom Shop

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

UPDATED...A noticeable gap between Magwell and Rail Gun frame from Colt Custom Shop

I just got my Rail Gun back from the Colt Custom Shop. I am very happy with everything but.......the very noticeable gap between the S&A Magwell and the frame. You can easily slide a business card into it. The grips don't even cover it. I must admit to being disappointed, because I have two other high end 1911's, and the magwell's on those fit flush and are matched to the frame seamlessly. Do you guys think I need to pay a gunsmith to correct this? Any comments, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Updated...see post #13.
    Last edited by CAColtM4; 08-18-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Update

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5687 times
    Only you can answer that question, and it sounds to me like you won't be 100% happy with the gun until you "fix" this.

Not to be rude at all, but this is just another one of those cases where you'd like to have enough of us say to you, "Oh, yes, for sure, get that fixed" so you can justify it it in your mind. I think, (for those of us that have been around a while anyway), we've all done something similar at least once in our lives.

There's not a thing wrong with that either, but that's the reality of it, right?

Good luck, and when you get it back from the "gunsmith", show us a before and after photo would you?

Thanks CAColtM4.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by CAColtM4 View Post
    I just got my Rail Gun back from the Colt Custom Shop. I am very happy with everything but.......the very noticeable gap between the S&A Magwell and the frame. You can easily slide a business card into it. The grips don't even cover it. I must admit to being disappointed, because I have two other high end 1911's, and the magwell's on those fit flush and are matched to the frame seamlessly. Do you guys think I need to pay a gunsmith to correct this? Any comments, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma, I'm ridin' the range tonight.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    411 times
    We perfectionists drive ourselves crazy. I sometimes drive my wife crazy too. For mine, it has to be fixed. I would contact the Colt Custom Shop before taking it elsewhere.
    Regards, John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ​ ​​
    "No man's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session. " ....
    Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Re: A noticeable gap between Magwell and Rail Gun frame from Colt Custom Shop

Did you contact the Custom Shop about your concerns before posting here?

Sent from my Proctor Silex Toaster Oven using Tapatalk 2.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I wasn't looking for "enough others" to tell me what I should go do. I was hoping for more of other guys that may have had the same result, or a different result, to give their opinion. Since the post, I have come across more than one similar story with a gap, and more than one with a flush fit. It seems that a drop in part was used and not fitted. That's fine.

At this point I have decided not to contact the Custom Shop, because it has nothing to do with how the gun functions, or shoots. I know they are swamped, and it takes awhile just to respond to all the emails they get. I am going to leave it as it is. Yeah it bugs me, because I admit to being a perfectionist with all things mechanical. Maybe I put too high of an expectation, considering my other two 1911's. But that is how I am...

I admit that in the thread I did not ask the question correctly, for the response I was hoping for. But with that said....oh well, wasn't looking to ruffle feathers either.

If it was an easy walk in and hand it over to the Custom Shop, I would. But not going to ship it back and then wait again. Like I said, I am very happy with the other 99% of the work done, and will live with the gap. It's not the end of the world.

These might give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

DSC_0164.jpgDSC_0167.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    1424 times

A noticeable gap between Magwell and Rail Gun frame from Colt Custom Shop

I haven't bought a new colt ,without examining it in person first,in a long time.Their QC,like many mass produced items, can be lacking.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Personally, I wouldn't tolerate a poor fitting like that from a custom shop, where you are specifically paying for expertise and hand fitting. Brent at Colt is very good about remedying problems that have gone out, and if you contact him, show him the pics, I suspect he will tell you to send it back in and they will make it right, at no cost to you other than admittedly, a little waiting. I reckon the swamped nature of things at Colt right now is probably the explanation for how something like that went out in the first place, but that doesn't mean they won't make it right. I'd give them a chance.

Colt Forum Friend

Member #
    Liked
    1091 times
    That is not a fitted portion of the magwell. We fit hand file to fit the internal bevel and the rear of the frame is filed to fit so the checkering sits above the frame. If you would like to send the gun back in I can swap a few others to see if one fits better if you like. It would take less than a week to repair.
    Brent
    DeWayne Hayes and rickb2202 like this.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Brent, that's awesome, thanks. Do I need a return athuorization number or anything like that? Do I send it back to you attention? What is the best way to send it back? I appreciate you making the offer! John

Colt Forum Friend

Member #
    Liked
    1091 times
    John,
    PM me and I will get all your details to get the gun back here.
    Brent
    DeWayne Hayes likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links