1929 .38 Super - not shot since 1963
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1929 .38 Super - not shot since 1963

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    1st year production 38 Super.... Dad's gun from WW2.... it would be cleaned, oiled & under glass.......... to be taken out and fondled periodically.....

And I'd find something else to shoot.......
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    - J. B. Books

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7853 times
    Awesome piece of family history

I bet it was tough to aquire ammo in a war zone ! Maybe family sent ammo in the mail ?
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    535 times
    With this particular gun, how would shooting it harm the value of it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3314 times
    Pre war 38 Super sell for a premium, a 1929 vintage gun in that condition will go for $2500 to $3500 in this area of the world. With the known headspace and resulting accuracy problems why shoot it and take a chance on breaking something. Clean it well, then put it away along with the story of the hero who carried it in combat for future generations of your family.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Faires View Post
    Pre war 38 Super sell for a premium, a 1929 vintage gun in that condition will go for $2500 to $3500 in this area of the world. With the known headspace and resulting accuracy problems why shoot it and take a chance on breaking something. Clean it well, then put it away along with the story of the hero who carried it in combat for future generations of your family.
    Mike,
    Part of me (the logical part) agrees with you 100%. The other part of me couldn't care less about the monetary value of the gun. I think it would be very cool to shoot the gun and have the spirit of my father right there with me. I thank everyone for the good advice and good words. If I decide to put it behind glass, there's no doubt I can make a little profit from the ammo - which is getting really hard to find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I say first send off for a factory letter. Then start building or looking for a dedicated display box with a plate for engraving. Then clean and lube the gun with gentle, known gun solvents. Gently clean the holster but don't swath it in oil. Replace all the springs with standard new, place all the original springs together in a marked envelope and place that in the box. Load the magazine with standard US white box ammo, go out and shoot some groups, bottles, etc and have a ball doing so. Then, bring it back in, clean it again with a good preservative lube, place it in the box with the holster but not in the holster. Wait for the factory letter, take any additional action as needed based on the info in the letter, then place it in an envelope in the box. Then engrave the plate with info about your Dad, his SS, and the Super. Place a copy of his SS citation in the background along with any relevant photos. Mount the display in a safe and secure place if available, if not, place it in the safe. Find a willing woman and start working on having boys worthy to pass the gun and history to. Or adopt me now and I'll do all the hard work for you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links