Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Colt 1878 DA cylinder lose

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Colt 1878 DA cylinder lose

IMG_2963.jpgIMG_2965.jpg
    Dear all,
    Please could I have some advice on this 1878 frontier the cylinder is lose and moves a little both ways, the loading gate was repaired is this what is causing the left right movement. Does this look the correct gate. the center pin and cylinder are in good condition.

Many thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1587 times
    BOB1698,

I have an 1892, 1878 DA revolver and the cylinder on mine moves both ways a little with the Trigger down too. But when cocked, the cylinder always is aligned with the bore. Cock your and shine a light down the bore to make sure the cylinder chamber is aligned with the bore. I hope this helps a little and here is a photo if mine.

022.JPG
    Colt-SL and BOB1698 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7375 times
    Make sure the cylinder bushing is still in it. Mine fell out on the floor one night and I didn't hear or see it fall. The pin still went in and the gun operated but was really loose. Fortunately my Wife found it while cleaning. She had no idea what it was and left it on the coffee table. I was relieved because I had no idea I had dropped it.
    Abwehr and BOB1698 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1587 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1698 View Post
    IMG_2963.jpgIMG_2965.jpg
    Dear all,
    Please could I have some advice on this 1878 frontier the cylinder is lose and moves a little both ways, the loading gate was repaired is this what is causing the left right movement. Does this look the correct gate. the center pin and cylinder are in good condition.

Many thanks.
    Look in the left photo showing the repaired Loading Gate; in the upper area, you see the small "tit" sticking out and below it you see the two "pins". the lower pin is the for opening the gate and sticks out the other side for the finger. The round pin that is 1/2 enclosed and 1/2 showing. This is what keeps the Cylinder located......weird to me, but seems to work. If you open the Gate and cock the revolver, sometimes it will not lock-up correctly. I know this from my 1902 Philippine 1878 revolver and the action is rock solid. When you cock the revolver, watch the Loading Gate move out a little and back in place when correctly located. There is a flat spring that puts pressure on the Loading Gate and that may possible be your problem if you have a lot of rotational movement on the Cylinder when cocked. To get to the screw that holds the Spring in place is accessible only be removing the internal parts. Have you ever removed the internal parts, it is a PITA and I don't like doing it.

IMG_2963.jpg
    Last edited by Abwehr; 07-01-2015 at 05:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi

Is the round pin that is 1/2 enclosed and 1/2 showing big enough tho!. so this is what keeps the Cylinder located!
    Yes If I open the Gate and cock the revolver the Loading Gate moves out a little and back.
    Where is the flat spring that puts pressure on the Loading Gate yes this could be my Problem.
    I have a lot of rotational movement on the Cylinder when cocked.
    To get to the screw that holds the Spring in place you say it is accessible only be removing the internal parts. I have never removed the internal parts, How do you do it.
    Many thanks
    Last edited by BOB1698; 07-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1587 times
    BOB1698 - The Loading Gate Spring is on the inside of the revolver. You must remove the small, round disc on the left side of the Frame to get to the action. I know the Hammer must be removed and the Spring is held in by a small screw. To remove the Disc, the screw on the right side hold it in place. I think the screw is a LEFT HAND thread like the Colt 1877!!!!!!! Don't use a screwdriver to remove the Disc; Tap the right side of the Frame with a plastic headed hammer until it comes out. It goes back in one certain position and when you find it, it drops in.

I have never taken an 1878 apart, but Chicone's book on disassembly of these revolvers show you how. I am at work and don't remember the book name?????

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think the loading gate spring is ok seems strong and holds the gate in position, I feel the pin that holds the cylinder could be worn or to small, I could do with Information, books or video on how to strip this gun tho, close up photo of loading gate would be good as its hard to tell if my gate is even the correct one for this gun, Does my cylinder locking pin look correct,
    many thanks
    Last edited by BOB1698; 07-03-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1587 times
    BOB1968 - I blew up the photo of your Locking Pin again and your looks exactly like my Pin on my 1902 Philippine Model 1878. I don't have photos of that pin to show you, but here is aphoto of the revolver. The action appears to have been fired little and just carried on a holster. Even this revolver has slight play when locked.

When I bought this revolver, I noticed the very small "notch" in the Locking Pin too, but the revolver does shoot fine. The only think I can think of is when the Gate was brazed back together, the spacing of the two broken parts may have been off just a little and allowing the excess rotation?????

IMG_1168.JPG
    Colt-SL and Gewehr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi great photo, yes if the 2 sections were not lined up when brazed then it could be knackered, I have a new one coming from colt parts I will fit a new one and see if that solves the problem,
    Where do I find INFO on how to change the loading gate, is it a titanic job!

Many thanks for your help.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1587 times
    Monticellomarshal likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links