Recommendations on a Paladin rig
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Recommendations on a Paladin rig

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    The rig Boone used was an Avro Ojala rig. On ebay a used beat up one goes for $600. Back in the early 60's he sold them for $49.95, a Colt SAA was $125.00. Colt even had his rig in their catalog for under a $100.00 in the late 60's. Avro was a great guy, always had time to answer dumb questions from a kid over he phone. Got my first from him, the second from his son who was selling them in the late 90's early 2000's for around $700. out of Oregon, all custom ordered. Delivered in less than 45 days.

Member #
    Liked
    11556 times
    When I ordered my black standard rig from him in 1985 I somehow got his daughter in law's number who then gave me his. He was in Roseda, CA. (I mailed him a VHS tape there) but here's what I think I remember. Something about his son was in the military and his daughter in law ran the shop in Tacoma, WA. I forgot if I sent the $200 to her or Arvo in CA. I might have gotten the original phone number from the guy who ran a fast draw club in Morgan Hill, CA., Gene Cozzitorto. I got his name from the index of Arganbright's fast draw book and went down there and shot with him and his group. I only lived a little over an hour away.
    Kerz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saber19 View Post
    The rig Boone used was an Avro Ojala rig. On ebay a used beat up one goes for $600. Back in the early 60's he sold them for $49.95, a Colt SAA was $125.00. Colt even had his rig in their catalog for under a $100.00 in the late 60's. Avro was a great guy, always had time to answer dumb questions from a kid over he phone. Got my first from him, the second from his son who was selling them in the late 90's early 2000's for around $700. out of Oregon, all custom ordered. Delivered in less than 45 days.
    'Kinda true': the Colt Ojala rigs were 1960. Only. Arvo managed to aggravate everyone he worked with including Colt, Daisy, Anderson, Bohlin, and Pineda that we know of, and then they wouldn't work with him at all.

Few of us realized until some research was completed, that Arvo's heyday was VERY short: 1957-1962. At that point he was forced out of California and lost the market.
    Kerz, SHOOTER13 and jringo8769 like this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Ojalalost following, when Warner Bros Westerns went by the wayside, when Jim Garner,Clint Walker (1962), left because of contract disputes and Andersen came outwith the walk and draw, around 1964, a holster with 15 degree slant forward,his patent. As I remember the Coltcatalog that had OJala holster was around 1965-67 the year they first offeredthe AR-15. I had the Catalog. Only the actor's who were trained by Ojala kepthim going like Jim Garner, James Arness, Sammy Davis JR., Kirt Douglas, HenryFonda, I believe Davis and Ojala were on Johnny Carson in the early seventieswith a draw demonstration and gun handling. Both Anderson and Pineda worked forOjala. The classic Ojala rig was refined by Anderson who was leather guy, Ojalawas more a gun handler, with the patent for the holster and rig.Anderson started his own shop with his patenton walk and draw, a better mouse trap.

Member #
    Liked
    5522 times
    Ojalalost following, when Warner Bros Westerns went by the wayside, when Jim Garner,Clint Walker (1962), left because of contract disputes and Andersen came outwith the walk and draw, around 1964, a holster with 15 degree slant forward,his patent. As I remember the Coltcatalog that had OJala holster was around 1965-67 the year they first offeredthe AR-15. I had the Catalog. Only the actor's who were trained by Ojala kepthim going like Jim Garner, James Arness, Sammy Davis JR., Kirt Douglas, HenryFonda, I believe Davis and Ojala were on Johnny Carson in the early seventieswith a draw demonstration and gun handling. Both Anderson and Pineda worked forOjala. The classic Ojala rig was refined by Anderson who was leather guy, Ojalawas more a gun handler, with the patent for the holster and rig.Anderson started his own shop with his patenton walk and draw, a better mouse trap.
    Andy came out w the W&D holster in 1960,he had quit working for Arvo a couple yrs before that because of a personal dispute
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    I see that Jim Martin has already addressed most of this; so I'll just say that I'm unaware of an Andy Anderson holster patent from that era :-). Indeed I'm only aware of an unrelated holster patent in the late 1970s, that he failed to enforce because he failed to tell his patent attorney about the prior art. Andy was 'master saddler' to Roy Baker as apprentice saddler in the late 1940s. All three -- Arvo, Andy and Alfonso -- came to Hollywood to become actors; didn't work out that way. Even Ed Bohlin was pulled into Arvo's web for a brief period, making Arvo's original sets while Andy worked for Ed. Lawsuits ensued.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    5522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    I see that Jim Martin has already addressed most of this; so I'll just say that I'm unaware of an Andy Anderson holster patent from that era :-). Indeed I'm only aware of an unrelated holster patent in the late 1970s, that he failed to enforce because he failed to tell his patent attorney about the prior art. Andy was 'master saddler' to Roy Baker as apprentice saddler in the late 1940s. All three -- Arvo, Andy and Alfonso -- came to Hollywood to become actors; didn't work out that way. Even Ed Bohlin was pulled into Arvo's web for a brief period, making Arvo's original sets while Andy worked for Ed. Lawsuits ensued.
    The patent was on the design of the metal insert in the holster,when Andy made his it had a split in it that Arvos didn't have,When Alphonso quit Arvo & started his own business I helped him re-design his metal insert so it didn't infringe on either Arvo's or Andy's & I got the 1st double carved rig he made under the new shop's name which was Al & Dick's holster shop,he had a partner for about a yr & after that it became Alphonso's of Hollywood,that double holster is in Bob Arganbrights collection now.
    jringo8769 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been doing business with Alfonso's since the 1980s. Alfonso's products and service is great. Last fall I purchased one of his Eastwood rigs which is a copy of the rig that Andy Anderson made for Clint Eastwood. The quality is exceptional. I recently bought a Paladin rig made by Alfonso's from eBay. The belt was too big for me. I contacted Omar and he told me to send me the belt and he would shorten it for me. They did a first class job. Alfonso's currently is the only make of an authentic Paladin rig. While not cheap it's worth the price.

Member #
    Liked
    3724 times
    I had Sandy Morissey make my take on a Paladin rig. The Eagle used was my Garrison Cap Coast Guard Officer’s Eagle...

jringo8769 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    The patent was on the design of the metal insert in the holster,when Andy made his it had a split in it that Arvos didn't have,When Alphonso quit Arvo & started his own business I helped him re-design his metal insert so it didn't infringe on either Arvo's or Andy's & I got the 1st double carved rig he made under the new shop's name which was Al & Dick's holster shop,he had a partner for about a yr & after that it became Alphonso's of Hollywood,that double holster is in Bob Arganbrights collection now.
    Then I wonder if his high hopes led to a patent; because I've found only his circa 1980 IWB holster patent. You know that a new patent can and does issue that nevertheless infringes on an existing patent? So that one still needs rights in both patents anyway to produce the later one? A patent is not a right to make your invention; a patent is a right to prevent others from making your invention. In law it's called a 'negative right'.

One would have expected a patent pending, and an issued patent, to be marked on all of Andy's sets yet I've not seen one such. Be illuminating to find one!
    Last edited by rednichols; 04-18-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links