Need Help On Bowie Knife Sheath-Who Can Make A Leather Sheath Like This?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By victorio1sw

Thread: Need Help On Bowie Knife Sheath-Who Can Make A Leather Sheath Like This?

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times

Need Help On Bowie Knife Sheath-Who Can Make A Leather Sheath Like This?

I have a few Bowie type Camp Knives, and most came with no antique sheath. Pictured is an old-style leather sheath, with a missing belt "loop". Note how the sheath is stitched up the side, and then was wetted and formed (stretched) over a dummy knife blade.

I know that so many of these Sheffield knives came with basically a cardboard sheath, but I don't want that. Many of these laminated cardboard sheaths were undoubtedly trashed and replaced with a quality leather design much like what I have pictured here.

I would appreciate any referrals. Perhaps some of the makers of "cowboy" holsters and cartridge belts also make such knife sheaths?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lboos likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Certain other period designs would also be considered. Most of mine are 6" and 7" bladed, with clip points. These Camp Knives were rarely ever used for fighting, but were used while "in the field" by cowboys and lawmen for skinning an occasional rabbit or opening a can of beans.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 05-01-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    962 times
    I looked at Karla Van Horne’s Purdey Gear website, she didn’t show any similar sheaths and she’s scaling back her custom work as of June 1st. A quick search of Etsy and some other custom makers didn’t yield any results. If you find something, post the results please.
    Regards,
    turnerriver

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9976 times
    Go to www.cascity.com and look at the 'Leather Forum' - several guys there can do that work.

Member #
    Liked
    12168 times
    I always wondered how these type sheaths were stitched. Maybe someone can shed light on this. I make these sunglass bags for family and friends for Christmas. To stitch I lay the two sides face to face inside out and stitch the edge. Then I turn it right side out and the stitch is hidden. That type sheath looks like one piece of thin leather folded over and stitched, then laid flat with the stitch seam on the outside down the middle of the front of the sheath. Does that look like how they do it? It doesn't look like it was done inside out like my bags. Hope that made sense.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links