Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Arvo Ojala holster

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

Arvo Ojala holster

Was one of our forum members lucky enough to get the reddish Colt Arvo hoster yesterday? I wanted it but I didn't bid on it, about 4inches too short.Beautiful.

Member #
    Liked
    12330 times
    Where was it for sale? I don't recall a reddish one on Ebay but might have missed it. Here's my red Ojala currently in the classified section here.

thecoltguy and Collects like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    yes. EBAY.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    That was my Colt/Ojala rig on eBay. It was "cordovan" color. A fellow in Colorado bought it. I don't know if he is a member here, but it doubt it. It had the Colt/Ojala stamping which made it unusual. There aren't many of those around.
    - Buckspen
    ojala45f.JPG
    superdave269 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    That was my Colt/Ojala rig on eBay. It was "cordovan" color. A fellow in Colorado bought it. I don't know if he is a member here, but it doubt it. It had the Colt/Ojala stamping which made it unusual. There aren't many of those around.
    - Buckspen
    ojala45f.JPG
    Iknew it was yours, but wasn't going to post that info. Beautiful holster.

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    Sorry I missed that.

Member #
    Liked
    625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    - Buckspen
    ojala45f.JPG
    Thanks so much for the link that's been posted; Bruce had sent me an image prior but I didn't get the significance of it: look again, the leather is a painted correct grain cowhide that goes a short distance in explaining how Arvo thought he could make money wholesaling them to Colt. The backside leather that's been identified as suede might even be a split veg cowhide; that is, 'sueded' but not what is considered suede, which is a thin chrome tannage. Use of either form of 'suede' would be another inkling of how Arvo attempted to save cost. But golly, a large portion of his cost was labor; he did not make them himself. And the sets didn't last more than a year or two in Colt's lineup. Not least because he was reportedly quite an abrasive chap -- JB (John Bianchi) knew him quite well but did not ever say that -- and was known to be persona non grata at Bohlin, Daisy and Colt's.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    5811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Thanks so much for the link that's been posted; Bruce had sent me an image prior but I didn't get the significance of it: look again, the leather is a painted correct grain cowhide that goes a short distance in explaining how Arvo thought he could make money wholesaling them to Colt. The backside leather that's been identified as suede might even be a split veg cowhide; that is, 'sueded' but not what is considered suede, which is a thin chrome tannage. Use of either form of 'suede' would be another inkling of how Arvo attempted to save cost. But golly, a large portion of his cost was labor; he did not make them himself. And the sets didn't last more than a year or two in Colt's lineup. Not least because he was reportedly quite an abrasive chap -- JB (John Bianchi) knew him quite well but did not ever say that -- and was known to be persona non grata at Bohlin, Daisy and Colt's.
    Your one of a very few that has written about Arvo's personality & your right,I knew him well,he was famous for taking credit for what others had done,after Rodd Redwing died he was taking credit for teaching actors how to use a SA's that Rodd had taught.He used a gun stunt in Silverado that I had invented back in 1957 & claimed it was his,I showed it to him in the back of his old shop on Lankershim around '58 or '59 & there were witnesses there @ the time,the pistol team he sponsered named "Ojala's 4 Aces" consisting of Johnny Kight,Dick Bowen,Doc Rowe & Ray Park were there @ the time,Ray & I have been friends since 1956.I had been using this stunt in my shows out @ Corriganville & later @ the old Paramount movie ranch in my shows.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I should have bought it, knowing it was too small.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Thanks Jim for putting record straight. Always good to get the truth out. We are Thankful to have you here.
    Ugly likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links