• 1 Post By VoyPescado
  • 2 Post By rednichols
  • 4 Post By turnerriver

Thread: “Brillalike” forum course 102: the automatic

Member #
    Liked
    416 times

“Brillalike” forum course 102: the automatic

So, had fun discussing the intricacies of the SAA Brill holsters a few months back and want to revisit the topic as I start meddling around with a “Brillalike” for a 1911. For the guys that have been there and done that, (and obviously or world renown resident expert!) a couple of observations as I started fooling with a template:
    1.) thinking of dispensing with the open trigger...I know, sacrilege, but not sure how it contributes anything to the functionality and an argument can certainly be made that it compromises safety. I also think the overall “aesthetic” can be maintained whilst modifying the holster mouth contour to cover the trigger guard.
    2.) Angle and depth of carry. The original Brills, as far as I can tell, carry the 1911 at a decent height on the belt line. (See image 1 Red Line)To much higher, and things start to get floppy, to much lower and draw/conceal-ability and comfort could be adversely affected. I’m also a fan of the forward can’t for this strong side application.
    3.) This one sort off piggy-backs on 2...and probably has me the most hung up. I’m a big fan of “sweat guard” styled backs on my 1911 pancakes. For a few reasons, but most notably, I’ve had odd issues with exposed thumb safeties in the past. ie, if the back of the holster didn’t properly cover this mechanism, under prolonged carry conditions, I somehow managed to switch that thumb safety into the fire position. I know this isn’t everyone’s experience, but it has, in the past, compelled me to favor a holster design that puts leather between the safety and my waste line. Now, the Brill presents an issue in this arena. To maintain the intended carry height and angle...the back of the holster mouth needs to maintain a straight, diagonal line from seam/welt to the 1911’s rear sight so to speak. Allow for more leather at the back of the mouth...and you, consequently, shift the carry height downward. So you’re pretty much stuck with that exposed safety...unless...you build the skirt from a separate piece of leather and stitch it to a sweat guard...I know, I’m probably loosing y’all but whatever.
    4.). Final point, for those still reading...in several images I’ve seen on line of Brills built for automatics, the area at the grip/back of trigger guard is impeded by excess material. (See image 2 Arrow) ie, little to no clearance exists for ones knuckles in this area as one searches for a proper purchase. Red made note of this in an email he sent me describing this pattern. The obvious remedy would be to simply contour the leather in this location in a manner that allows for unimpeded grip.

Ok, that’s it for now. Basically looks like a may be committing some cardinal sins by heavily modifying this design to accommodate some personal preferences. But hey, it’s all in good fun!
    LEO918 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4286 times
    Here's a 1911 in an early Brill holster designed for a revolver. Maybe kind of what you have in mind..
    Ugly and rock185 like this.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    That’s pretty much what I’m after LEO. In some form or another...that is a dang nice holster btw. I also discovered that a 1911 doesn’t fit half bad into a SAA Brill style holster.
    LEO918 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    I admit I only scanned your post. LEO os spot on, any Threepersons for the four inch N frame will fit a 5 inch automatic. Even the rear sight protector and safety strap will be right on the money. And the trigger will be covered as is modern practice (though it was not desirable in that era, so generally it was exposed as on the Brill).

same myres (1).jpg same myres (2).jpg

The original purpose of taking those pics some time ago (that's a Myres) was to show that makers could have used the identical pattern for both pistols; pattern making and prototyping is time consuming, different dies are expensive and if a worker picks up the wrong die to cut a 1000 piece order it can be an economic disaster; etc. Today that 1911 on the right looks 'right' but in those days the covered trigger looked wrong to them, so they did this:

myres witty.jpg

That said I have a Brill pattern from an early original, with the pattern trimmed away for the second finger's knuckle. Happy to send you a scaled image gratis.
    Last edited by rednichols; 06-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    LEO918 and boykin like this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    2351 times
    "Any Threepersons for the four inch N frame will fit a 5 "

I will try that- more good information from the Colt Forum.

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    941 times
    While most did, not all makers exposed the trigger, this is a holster by F.A. Meanea made for the Government Model.

Another example of a Brill for a .45 auto.

Regards,
    turnerriver
    Mblhopo, LEO918, boykin and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Thanks for the pic of that F.A. Meanea Turnerriver, hadn’t seen one quite like it until now.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links