• 2 Post By MARKO65
  • 1 Post By DFrame
  • 2 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Repaired Colt holster using home made leather tools

Member #
    Liked
    11864 times

Repaired Colt holster using home made leather tools

Here's Jackson's Colt Woodsman holster I just restitched. My friend's F-I-Law was a WW2 dentist and leather hobbyist. They gave me all his stuff which included these great homemade "stitching wheels" (??) and a tool made from a file, and lots of thread. There is also bundles of dental suture thread too small for my use. I do not know what that silver tool is below the studded holster but I attached a needle to it and that's how I restitch holsters without opening up the main seams. Using it with long tweezers I can get deep in the holster. Jackson's holster wasn't that deep, though. I never say I can match the stitching perfectly but only as close as possible.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 06-18-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Looks like the start of a great hobby. I always wanted to do leather work but never got around to it!

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    If that studded holster is for a short N frame Smith I'd pay good money for it.

Good job on the holster too btw
    jringo8769 likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    If that studded holster is for a short N frame Smith I'd pay good money for it.

Good job on the holster too btw
    Good eye! I made it for my 3 1/2" Model 27. first with a simple belt loop, then replaced with the vintage Franz-Loc spring belt clip John Witty gave me afterwards. but I felt the gun was out of balance in it. So I'm going to splice a fold over belt loop like usual but hide all the splice with a Brill style half lining. I'd probably sell it to a fellow lefty. Here's a Franz-Loc belt clip (internet picture). I'll use mine for another holster.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 06-18-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    I am a fellow lefty and it would go great with my Tex Shoemaker belt and my 2nd Model 44.

jringo8769 and DeaconKC like this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Member #
    Liked
    1953 times
    I am also a lefty and work in leather.... great work. My pre -model 27 3 1/2 would look great in that .
    jringo8769 and 29aholic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Nice job on the restiching. And congrats on acquiring those tools. Looks like a lot of fun there.
    jringo8769 likes this.
    Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents
    Oh My!

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7749 times
    Most people looking at a holster makers bench would probably be surprised at the tools used and would wonder what kind of Mickey Mouse operation you're running.
    Very often many of them are home made or re-tasked from other applications.

Good tools are expensive and often you can make or use some other tool to get what you want.
    Sometimes actual leather crafting tools just don't do what you want, so we often use something else that does.

As example my favorite molding tools are a stainless steel 3/8's inch ball bearing soldered to the end of a 6 inch length of brass tubing, and one side of a handle on a pair of watchmakers pliers.
    I have no idea where I got the ball bearing or brass tube, and the other side handle of the pliers just isn't "right".

To do hand stitching I use an old pair of black leather gloves with the thumb and index fingers cut short and a socket side of a line 24 snap set into the palm.
    The gloves prevent the cutting into my fingers as I pull the cord tight, and the snap is used as a sail maker's palm thimble to push the needles through the holes.

Whatever works...... works.
    29aholic and DeaconKC like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links