Best carry position SAA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Best carry position SAA

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Best carry position SAA

I would like to carry my SAA in a holster on a belt on a regular basis. I find carrying it on the hip (3oclock) classic cowboy style impractical/uncomfortable.
    I see a fair amount of old original photos showing cross draw carry. Also modern professionals/competitors carrying this way. (Josey Wales/Clint Eastwood)
    Anybody have any suggestions for the best rig setup for comfort/practicality? Thnx Mark in AZ
    Kevin Keith likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    This is not really helpful, but your question reminded me of a story.

A distant cousin of mine was a County Constable in East Texas. I saw him at a family funeral one day and noticed his duty rig was a SAA in a cross-draw holster.

I asked him, "What's the reason for the cross draw? Oh, I bet I know! It's so it doesn't interfere with the seat belt as much when you're in a patrol vehicle, right?"

He just kind of blinked at me and said "No... I just like the way it looks."
    With regard to the 2nd Amendment, I'm "the people," not "the enemy."
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Austin Rifle Club Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I carry a SAA, Blackhawk or Vaquero strong side and high in a pancake style, open top holster. Are you thinking concealed or open carry?

I haven't been comfortable with the crossdraw since I read Bill Jordan's No Second Place Winner about a hundred years ago. lol
    0E6VESQ.jpg
    Kerz and highway08 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    552 times
    I'm thinking you're actually looking for support in carrying crossdraw? Nothing at all wrong with it :-). Though I'm no horseman.

Better to wonder, about angle for any carry position; and clocking. An SAA holster at 4:00 with a 24 degree angle (muzzle to the rear) is a carry style that goes back to very the beginning of the last century; who can argue with a Texas Ranger in 1906:

ranger brown 1906.jpg The photo is of Ranger Brown and was taken by Ranger Lone Wolf Gonzaullas. Brown is with Ranger White in the photo; White is a notable gunfighter because his captain was John Hughes; and he himself went on (better known as Doc White) to find himself up against many notable gangsters of the 1930s including Ma Barker and Machine Gun Kelly while in the FBI. Oh yeah, he was also paired with Tom Threepersons himself at Treasury :-).

One needs to match the angle, and the clocking (3:00 for example could easily be uncomfortable, and with a vertical carry REALLY uncomfortable, I expect, on a horse) for the style such as the Threepersons you see (taken long before Threepersons himself was known to use the style; how awkward for the legend, eh?) to optimize it for comfort and drawing. Texas Rangers had the Brill created for them, with the grip fully above the belt as you see it here, and at a 24 degree angle, but for concealment when dismounted.

And were you to prefer crossdraw, though I've no images for you, I'd expect that a 15 degree angle (also muzzle to the rear) worn at 10:00 would get up and out of the way of your thigh. A horseman could tell you if this carry was good or bad for being thrown from the saddle, or catching on the saddle horn; all things I'm not expert enough to advise about but worth wondering about. Muzzling those around you, etc. Certainly the image I've included muzzles the horse if one worries about such things.
    Last edited by rednichols; 07-21-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    Kerz, old tanker, Ugly and 6 others like this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    I'm thinking you're actually looking for support in carrying crossdraw? Nothing at all wrong with it :-). Though I'm no horseman.

Better to wonder, about angle for any carry position; and clocking. An SAA holster at 4:00 with a 24 degree angle (muzzle to the rear) is a carry style that goes back to very the beginning of the last century; who can argue with a Texas Ranger in 1906:

ranger brown 1906.jpg The photo is of Ranger Brown and was taken by Ranger Lone Wolf Gonzaullas. Brown is with Ranger White in the photo; White is a notable gunfighter because his captain was John Hughes; and he himself went on (better known as Doc White) to find himself up against many notable gangsters of the 1930s including Ma Barker and Machine Gun Kelly while in the FBI. Oh yeah, he was also paired with Tom Threepersons himself at Treasury :-).

One needs to match the angle, and the clocking (3:00 for example could easily be uncomfortable, and with a vertical carry REALLY uncomfortable, I expect, on a horse) for the style such as the Threepersons you see (taken long before Threepersons himself was known to use the style; how awkward for the legend, eh?) to optimize it for comfort and drawing. Texas Rangers had the Brill created for them, with the grip fully above the belt as you see it here, and at a 24 degree angle, but for concealment when dismounted.

And were you to prefer crossdraw, though I've no images for you, I'd expect that a 15 degree angle (also muzzle to the rear) worn at 10:00 would get up and out of the way of your thigh. A horseman could tell you if this carry was good or bad for being thrown from the saddle, or catching on the saddle horn; all things I'm not expert enough to advise about but worth wondering about. Muzzling those around you, etc. Certainly the image I've included muzzles the horse if one worries about such things.
    Here's an example of me carrying a Vaquero .45LC, good for open or concealed. Red is right, clocking and cant are important, holster choice is too, obviously.
    269733_1854525324432_1933405_n.jpg
    highway08 and Southgate like this.

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    428 times
    Not only the points already made but consideration for your own flexibility. The older I get, the more I lean toward an appendix carry as there is no way I could reach anything tucked back over my hip pocket. Getting old is a bugger.

Member #
    Liked
    2690 times
    I use appendix carry for my S&W M&P full size 9mm. I find it very comfortable and easy to draw from. Carrying a Single Action Army that way, even with a 3 1/2 or 4 inch barrel, might be pushing things a bit!
    highway08 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    What is appendix carry.....?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Blow your balls off this way!

Member #
    Liked
    2690 times
    Appendix carry is with the gun in front in the center of your body or slightly off to one side or the other, depending on whether you are right or left handed. Right handed = slightly off to the right side. Left handed (like me) = slightly off the left side. I've been carrying this way for the past three years and have been participating in twice-weekly tactical classes and have never seen a negligent discharge. I, too, was skeptical at first but after trying it for a few weeks, I found I liked it better than any other way I have tried. You do have to get the right kind of holster. Fortunately for me, one of our training group makes and sells his own holsters. Check out Phaseline Holsters (https://phaselineholsters.com/). They are excellent and quite reasonably priced.

- - -Buckspen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links