Like Tree16Likes
  • 10 Post By boykin
  • 6 Post By thecoltguy

Thread: Check Out This Heiser Model 738 Holster

Member #
    Liked
    583 times

Check Out This Heiser Model 738 Holster

"Rare" is a word that is used way to often in collecting, so I will let you folks be the judge. I picked this Heiser holster up a couple of days ago. It really caught my eye because I don't remember seeing one like it before. I had never seen a Heiser floral carved swivel flap holster before. It is definitely the largest holster in my collection. There was plenty of space for the wonderful Heiser carvers to do their work, and as usual they did a superb job.

It has the old Heiser trademark on it. It is chamois lined. I know that police used swivel holsters to accommodate getting in and out of vehicles. But, to me, the massive size of this holster would prevent car usage. So, I am guessing this holster must be used by someone on horseback. It has the leg tiedown to keep it close to the body while being able to swivel when the wearer is seated.

Many times, Heiser does something to their holsters that we all like. They will etch on them what gun they were made for. This one is definitely marked "OM". So it is made for a Colt Officers Model revolver with a 6 or 6 1/2 inch barrel. I know absolutely nothing about Colt Officers Model revolvers. Doing just a little research, I know they are a fairly old revolvers which would fall in line with this being an older holster. I put the dollar bills in the picture just so you could see how large this holster is. From the top of the swivel to the bottom of the holster is just over 17 inches.

Calling all knowledgable folks. Please tell me what you know about either the holster or the gun. How old would you guess it to be? Have you seen many of these swivel floral carved Heiser flap holsters? Lastly, to you, is it rare?
    Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boykin; 08-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Proud NRA Endowment Member

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Beautiful engraving and leather. how can i get my hand on one of these.

Member #
    Liked
    6238 times
    By diligent shopping.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Beautiful engraving and leather. how can i get my hand on one of these.
    Check out the auction sites and get lucky.
    Proud NRA Endowment Member

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17575 times
    Congratulations on a nice find. Yours is for a Colt Officers Model Target, probably from the 1930s. It appears to be for the 6" barrel length. I love Heiser holsters and here are a few from our collection:

Last edited by thecoltguy; 08-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2173 times
    Beautiful holster. And you're right...big. I like the Heiser swivel holsters as well.
    holsters00004sf.JPG
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links