Colt Forum banner

Holster for Lawman Mk III 2 inch

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  binggo 
#1 ·
Hello, I am trying to find a holster for my Lawman snub nose. Shrouded ejector, 2 inch barrel, Mark III. I tried to message Wyatt Burp because I saw a post about him making one but his inbox is full. Any leads are appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
The Lawman Mk III, like all the Mk IIIs (I had one of the very first 4" Trooper Mk IIIs when they were introduced, that's how old I am!) are essentially Python frames, as far as holsters are concerned. And I recall it is fixed sight, which then will make a Python holster loose on it. So: be aware that the Python, Smith L frame, Ruger GP -- all were designed to be the same size (frame, cylinder, barrel configuration, etc.); if any holsters are commonly made for a fixed-sighted version of those, then that will be the ticket for you.

#4 ·
Lawman snubby in a El Paso Saddlery holster made for a Python alongside another holster with a Python snubby...fits just fine...

A Lawman 4" and snubby in a Bucheimer holster for a Python with a safety strap. It fits loosely compared to a Python.

The Lawman snubby is just fine in the open top El Paso Saddlery holster but fits loose in the Bucheimer with safety strap. Admittedly the Bucheimer holster has seen a lot of use when I was working but the looseness of the fit with a Mark III would give me some pause using it for the Lawman. The difference in frame between the Python and the Mark III must be enough I would not recommend using a safety strap type holster unless it's made for a Mark III. The other type with the open top seems to present no issues.

A S&W L-frame holster might work fine but I would try it out before buying.

#5 ·
Snidely has really zeroed in on what 'fit' is; because these two designs accomplish 'fit' differently.

Leather Handgun holster Brown Gun accessory Scabbard
Fit is defined by the holster itself, across the frame, cylinder and full trigger guard

Handgun holster Bicycle saddle Gun accessory Leather Horse tack
Fit is defined across the frame only.

I don't want to call the black holster a Threepersons, because it isn't; but for the sake of differentiating, a correct Threepersons grips in precisely this way: only across the frame ahead of the trigger guard. On a genuine Threepersons there will be a welt or welts -- think of a Brill -- against which the revolver has been pressed. On this pancake there is no welt inside, and precious little other leather gripping that really, really short length of frame there. Not good enough and it's been this way since Roy Baker introduced the pancake. But plenty of people knew better before him.

So the trigger guard of the Trooper is big enough, in combination with the rest of the pistol, to approximate the Python with its adjustable sights in the brown holster. But it's not in the equation -- as in the science of holster design, quite literally -- on the black one.

Also be aware that adjustable sighted revolvers have a more substantial topstrap than on the fixed sighted ones (square vs. round) and that the adjustable rear sight also adds bulk; and the tall front sight increases the support of the holster across the muzzle. Well known factors to holster designer/makers, not to the average Joe.

So to get a dead-on comparison of gunleather fitment, one would have to use a close-fitting leather holster on a fixed-sight L frame or GP100, with the Lawman; there being no such Python. You'd see that they fit the same :).

P.S. 'fits', 'doesn't fit', is not to be evaluated against whether or not the strap is the right length; that's a strap-only evaluation. In questions of fitment, we look to the closeness (too tight? too loose?) of the revolver itself inside the pocket of the holster. Then we look at correcting the strap. I.e., just because the strap closes and the pistol doesn't fall out, doesn't mean that holster 'fits my gun like a glove'!

#7 ·
Here's a 4" Python in the same holster...it's very snug. The difference is the hammer...the Python hammer being longer is well secured by the safety strap. The strap is too long for the short profile of the Lawman hammer...but the body of the Lawman fits snug within the holster. So...it's a safety strap issue with this particular holster design.

#8 ·
I've tried a few belt holsters for the Lawman and most have proven disappointing. With the short barrel it is quite top heavy and the gun wants to twist away from the body, particularly in a high ride style holster. A holster that goes across the frame, cylinder and full trigger guard like the El Paso is about as good as it's gonna get. If I was going to spend a lot of time sitting, like in a car or behind a desk a horizontal shoulder rig might be OK if you could find a harness that didn't wallow around too much. I really like the gun, it is a beast of snubbie, but paradoxically, a four inch gun is easier to wear comfortably.

#9 · (Edited)
You've hit the nail on the head, although it doesn't go to 'holster doesn't fit'. Designers who have chosen to raise the cylinder above the belt line -- a true Threepersons only needs to have its complete grip above the belt to qualify -- have relied on a very stiff belt to make it work. And yes, likely designed it around a 4" or even longer revolver, then shortened the patterns for the short barrel. BAD idea.

I've pushed back against the 'get a good gunbelt' sacred cow on forums for years. If we need one, then the holster has been designed incorrectly. My own designs must carry correctly on an actual Walmart belt that I keep in my shop, still with its Walmart label on it :). That old Bucheimer (or Bucheimer-Clark? They were different companies, founded in different years and folded in different years, too) is from the 1970s, we certainly know better by now (though someone should tell Galco).

And as for the strap being too long, I suspected that was the reason for its 'too loose' and 'doesn't fit' label. While responsible for quality at Bianchi I inspected many holsters returned for 'doesn't fit' and, after slipping the pistol into the holster and getting an excellent fit to the actual pistol, learned that they meant the strap was either too long or (more usually) too short on a target hammer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.