Colt Forum banner

Real or fake?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  hwjhfs 
#1 ·
I picked these up today from a friends estate, I would like to know if the one belt buckle is original or a reproduction, the one in question is the Tiffany marked one. Also picked up the other related items also.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

See less See more
Reactions: victorio1sw
#5 ·
I picked these up today from a friends estate, I would like to know if the one belt buckle is original or a reproduction, the one in question is the Tiffany marked one. Also picked up the other related items also.

I saw those Tiffany buckles in the late 1960's by the truck loads. One seller parked at a flea market and literally had his pickup filled with Tiffany buckles, Wells Fargo, Coca Cola, and everything else imaginable. Much later I was told that these fakes were made in California.

Reactions: Pappy1600
#9 ·
The thing is - there were 'no' originals - Tiffany didn't make anything remotely like what was on offer - same's true of many of the 'Mills' plates for 'Remington', 'Penitentiary', 'Airships', 'US', and so on and so forth - these are 'fantasy' buckles and nothing more.

As to the 'Mills' plates - the background stippling on a fake looks like grass seed.

'Mill's' did make legitimate 'US' plates, and 'Remington Dog Head' plates (two sizes), and a couple more - you just have to read up before you buy.

#10 ·
As to the plates shown by 'hmaag':

The larger's a definite fake.

The 1851 belt plate was made by a number of military suppliers - it's being made and worn today - I'd need a much better photo, because the issue quality varied wildly, and while some were works of art - others were a 'lick and a promise'.

In general, the EM-issued plates were well-made to standard - the ones sold by suppliers to the uniform trade for purchase by impecunious young Officers often varied by price point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.