Texas Ranger Holster & 1911 damn thing looks dangerous-
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Texas Ranger Holster & 1911 damn thing looks dangerous-

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7954 times
    There's the often told story of an Easterner visiting Texas and meeting a Ranger carrying a 1911. Asked if the cocked and locked 1911 was dangerous, the Ranger replied.... "You damn betcha".
    Kerz, skilled, Mosby and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    611 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
    Exposed trigger? There's a good reason they don't make those anymore.
    We have come a long way.
    I'll make the point, that y'all have actually gone backwards! At the turn of the last century all automatics had external safeties, even -- especially -- the striker-fired ones. But at the end of that last century y'all let Gaston Glock, a sewing machine man, con you into pistols with NO safeties -- especially on his striker pistols!

Slowly external safeties are reapparing on other makers' striker pistols. But in the meantime even holster makers failed to see that a covered guard on a Glock does nothing to protect the user except keep a stranger from pulling the trigger (in the old Ranger's day, even trying was asking to be shot dead); while ADDING the danger of the covered guard catching the trigger finger of the unwary and actually firing the pistol.

For that reason I don't make gunleather for Glocks -- holsters lull consumers into thinking they have made their Glocks safe as they would've on their 1911. But in fact that is impossible; the pistol can still be fired in the holster and many, many, many have been fired in Safarilands. I've quite a long list of their shootings.
    Kerz, Ugly, MarkInTx and 8 others like this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Great pix..............I have purchased many used holsters from eBay. I would check with the DPS if they have left in the warehouse !

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14711 times
    A Texas Ranger 1911 from the early days...carried in a holster that didn't cover the trigger guard, loaded and unlocked. Dangerous? Sure...to anyone down range when the gun cleared leather. Times have changed.

texas_ranger_lo.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    2864 times
    That's a great picture- I read somewhere that in the early years of the 1911, Rangers and other South West lawmen like notorious coffee pot ventilator Charlie Miller, would carry them with a round in the chamber at half cock with rawhide wrapped around the grip safety and then, thumb cock them when they cleared leather like a SAA, hey that's what worked for them and what they were used to doing.

No way in hell I would tell them ''yer doing it wrong."

Here's another photo of a Texas Ranger with his (engraved and ivory handled?) 1911 and carved leather carry rig- from the 50's? Looks like he has a Remington Mod 11 or a Browning A5 with a carved leather ammo carrier as well.
    Last edited by Ugly; 10-09-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Dodge1942, Kerz, Colt-SL and 9 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    He's doing it wrong. It would be very easy for him to loose that gun in fight, or have some one discharge it in the holster.
    Might look nice to some one who never worked as a cop.

Member #
    Liked
    4087 times
    Both holsters shown could possibly be the "Audley Safety Holster" similar to this one. The safety holster has a sprung lock incorporated into the holster - it must be depressed before the gun can be drawn from the holster. Here's one, similar to the one I bought from Turnerriver a year or two ago (except the one I bought is in a lot nicer condition):

Ugly, RDS and Hootch56 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4598 times
    This holster was made about a month ago. As ex LE I don't feel afraid to wear it at all..
    Ugly, 29aholic, MarkInTx and 8 others like this.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    10038 times
    I still use a 'Colt 24A' - made by Wally Wolfram for Colt sometime in the late '60's - early '70's that's identical.

Mine's in smooth black, and nowhere near as pretty as LEO918's, but it's given good service and has seen the world.

Always carried cocked and locked, and never a worry.
    LEO918, Ugly, OD and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    nice rig
    LEO918 likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links