Western double loop style, Military??
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rednichols

Thread: Western double loop style, Military??

Member #
    Liked
    1934 times

Western double loop style, Military??

Can anyone ID this holster? It is a western style double loop design but it has a finish much like some foreign military leather goods. Also has a drain hole. I believe the retention strap and snap are a later add on. The previous owner said a large frame DA would fit and if I measure from the cylinder impression it will take up to a 5" barrel, maybe only a 4 3/4" barrel. No markings or stamps anywhere on it. Thanks for the help.

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwjhfs View Post
    Can anyone ID this holster? It is a western style double loop design but it has a finish much like some foreign military leather goods. Also has a drain hole. I believe the retention strap and snap are a later add on. The previous owner said a large frame DA would fit and if I measure from the cylinder impression it will take up to a 5" barrel, maybe only a 4 3/4" barrel. No markings or stamps anywhere on it. Thanks for the help.

You might be overthinking this one, yet everything you say is accurate. The style is generally called a Mexican Loop. Yes, the strap has been added; several clues there. That suggests that the male half was added, too. The finish? Just the way the tannery completed it, I expect. The drain hole would be a maker's choice. It's machine sewn so early 20th century. Is it an N frame? You'll work it out and the 44 frame Smiths were certainly common enough in that era; barrel length is EASY for you to determine in advance because you have not only the external marks for the cylinder but for the muzzle, too :-). Not valuable. That it's unmarked by its maker suggests that it was made for resale in what were called 'hardware stores' and in fact were gun stores.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    1934 times
    Thanks for the info Red. It is different finish, from what I am use to seeing; prompted my questions.
    I remeasured the length and it looks like it would take a 5 1/2" barrel. Regards.
    Last edited by hwjhfs; 10-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwjhfs View Post
    Thanks for the info Red. It is different finish, from what I am use to seeing; prompted my questions.
    I remeasured the length and it looks like it would take a 5 1/2" barrel. Regards.
    Very good :-). You and I are used to seeing cowhide holsters with what's called an 'aniline finish' -- so a bare finish and without any 'correction' (light sanding) of the grain to make it look 'better' -- whereas this one of yours is painted. A very common process on chrome tanned leather specifically for garments and upholstery, and far less so on veg cowhide (and vice versa). A light sand (they call it buffing) and a spray increases the yield from a side or other cut; and also provides a waterproof seal (it's also found on the backside of the leather yet is different from what's called 'pasting' which is nearly invisible).

A 'painted' chrome tanned leather is thin and the surface is so incredibly tough. I've a big cattle dog who weighs above 100 pounds and has giant feet and claws to match; she is welcome to jump on and off the big leather sofa because THAT leather she can't even scratch :-).
    hwjhfs likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links