Info on Berns Martin “lightnin” triple draw holster
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rednichols

Thread: Info on Berns Martin “lightnin” triple draw holster

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Info on Berns Martin “lightnin” triple draw holster

Hi all, trying to get an approximate value on a Berns Martin lightnin triple draw holster made in Elberton Georgia. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It is in very good condition. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    No one has any information?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    There are 2 fairly recent sales on an internet auction site for $25 & $59, both without the harness. I’ve seen these go for $100 + with harness and the earlier Calhoun City Ms. stamp. Yours is a nice one, I can’t tell from the photos if the harness is original, mostly they came with a cotton webbing harness as illustrated in the catalog cut you show. The Chiefs Special was the most common size. I would guess, if the harness is original that your holster would sell from $50-100.
    Regards,
    turnerriver

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    529 times
    I can't tell you about the value of the Berns-Martin rigs but I used one a lot back in the mid 1960s with a Colt Trooper. My rig was a belt holster and was the fastest holster I have ever used. It was comfortable to wear for extended periods and enabled an extremely fast and accurate first shot out of the leather. I have always wanted a shoulder rig like you have for my 2 1/2" M19. Fine holster!

Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    I can't tell you about the value of the Berns-Martin rigs but I used one a lot back in the mid 1960s with a Colt Trooper. My rig was a belt holster and was the fastest holster I have ever used. It was comfortable to wear for extended periods and enabled an extremely fast and accurate first shot out of the leather. I have always wanted a shoulder rig like you have for my 2 1/2" M19. Fine holster!
    For the Trooper your Berns-Martin would have been their 'Speed' holster for the belt; the Triple Draw's largest size, according to Jack Martin himself in 1950, was the 2" M&P. Today the best interpretation by far of the Lightnin' is Bianchi's #9R-1 and -2 that was made specifically for the 2-1/2" M19 (JB had a 3" nickel M19) that is readilly purchased on eBay 'vintage'. Prices there do tend to exceed U$100 because of it is a very high-performing holster after 40 years; which the B-M shoulder holster definitely is not.

Turnerriver: this thread is a second thread by the OP; in the first he had a useful reply from me as to value (readers, turnerriver and I are coauthors of "Holstory -- Gunleather of the 20th Century", a color coffee-table book that has a full chapter devoted to Berns-Martin and its emulators).
    turnerriver likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Much appreciated for the information

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links