Some Of Us Also Like Old Spurs - Another Piece Of Essential Cowboy Equipment
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Some Of Us Also Like Old Spurs - Another Piece Of Essential Cowboy Equipment

Member #
    Liked
    1955 times

These iron spurs with "Gal Leg" shanks probably were made by Jess Hodge of Ft. McKavitt, Texas (1915-??). Born in Alabama, Hodge is suspected to have had a past that he chose to leave behind, and thus pre-1915 little is known about him. Heelbands and buttons were later decorated with French 50 Centimes dime-sized coins (six coins on each spur). Other than coins, only two unengraved diamond overlays were affixed to heelbands on each side of shank. On one spur those diamonds are engraved "S" and "P".

These spurs were purchased on a ranch not far from Ft. McKavitt many years ago. The lady there said that the “S.P.” initials must have been Stanley Patton, who was ranch foreman longer than anyone else. The 1930 Census lists Stanley Patton as a 39 year old “Ranch Foreman” in Sutton County that served in WWI. No doubt Stanley Patton (1890-1970) had these French coins added to his spurs after the war.

Also the rowels were at some time replaced with matching brass tokens that originally read: "The Ranch / ( Steerhead ) / Kerrville, Tex. // Good For / 12½¢ / Drink / M. F. Weston". That token legend is very readable on one of the tokens, after they were filed and re-shaped to fit into the existing narrow shank slots. Perhaps Stanley Patton, in his earlier years had visited The Ranch Saloon in Kerrville. M. F. Weston was saloon proprietor 1907-12.

A photo of young Stanley Patton and his tombstone are also shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 11-11-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1955 times
    A picture of the "S P" initials. Also a picture of the Ranch Saloon token. These are almost always found with the "12-1/2¢" ground off.

Member #
    Liked
    1955 times

These spurs were made by prisoners at the Canon City (Colorado) Prison. According to some accounts, this spur production began in the early 1900’s and continued until the 1940’s.

This is perhaps the top-of-the-line spur in terms of quality and craftmanship. It is one thing to do a silver overlay, but quite another to perform an inlay. Steel must first be excavated, leaving a roughly flat bottom. Then the sides of the profiled “hole” intended for inlay must be tapered wider at the bottom. With such preparation, when a pre-shaped and thicker piece of silver is inserted and hammered into place, the sides of that silver shape expand and lock into the steel walls. Any overage in thickness is then filed flush with the local spur area.

Then the engraving of the silver begins, and judging by the very deep cuts performed, the silver inlays must be thicker than the more common overlays.

These are large double-mounted spurs made by Canon City prison inmates about 1920. They are the earlier style with heelband & shank silver inlayed. Heelband silver was then engraved in crosshatch diamond pattern w/the upper & lower partial diamonds stippled. Shank silver is engraved with a complex four-petal flower(?) near heel, and plus-shaped ornaments running out to near the rowel pins. The only overlays are on the four buttons, using thick silver & deep-cut engraving. The shank ends resemble a bird's head with beak pointed downward.
    Mosby, LEO918, buffhuntr and 9 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2605 times
    Thank you for sharing these with us victorio1sw. I really enjoy seeing the different items used by the old time western working folk. After all, who grew up in the 50’s or 60’s and doesn’t still want to be a cowboy...lol. Well, me for one. I expect this to be an interesting thread as a few spurs have been seen around these parts before.

Tom
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4959 times
    Very fine examples of the spur makers art.
    victorio1sw and Mosby like this.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1955 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    Thank you for sharing these with us victorio1sw. I really enjoy seeing the different items used by the old time western working folk. After all, who grew up in the 50’s or 60’s and doesn’t still want to be a cowboy...lol. Well, me for one. I expect this to be an interesting thread as a few spurs have been seen around these parts before.

Tom
    I am a "Late Comer" to Spurs. No doubt some of you guys can make my head spin with pictures of your examples!
    Mosby likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1955 times

This was my “First Pair” of antique spurs, bought in an interesting Grapevine, TX shop about 1972. One spur is stamped "OK" on the heelband as shown in picture #2. These “OK” August Buermann spurs still had some original leather straps, but literally in shreds. So, I traced their profiles and made exact copies, as seen now. They are very simple, functional straps, with no buckles to snag brush. I actually used these spurs 1972-75 while helping on a ranch in Bosque County.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 11-11-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Surely if you're a spurs fan, victorio, you have a copy of THE book on the topic for collectors: "Old Cowboy Saddles & Spurs". I have a copy (two editions actually) because it lists 6000 saddlemakers who were all of the West's gunleather makers, too. There's a separate section for the vintage spur makers and Hodge is one of them. States there your man J.S. Hodge was a blacksmith (vs a leathersmith) who was b. 1869 and d. 1953, and that he didn't mark his spurs (with his name).
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    4959 times
    At one time I had about 150 pairs of spurs. The makers were mostly Crockett and Kelly. They all went away in my massive sell off of 1993. Now I only have a few North and Judd and other low end singles hanging in the barn.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    6530 times
    It's funny, when I moved out West my dad gave me his old Bona Allen roper saddle and several pair of spurs he used in the 1950s. I used the saddle a lot, but hardly ever needed the spurs, and seldom used them. They hang on a nail near my desk to remind me of my dad. I'm not sure many riders use spurs today, I'd sometimes ride with 30 or more horse and mule riders and did some roundups, no spurs.
    LEO918, victorio1sw and Mosby like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links