Help dating a holster
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help dating a holster

Member #
    Liked
    1175 times
    I was confused by the title of this thread. My first thought was to suggest flowers and offer a nice dinner. LOL!
    Colt1860 and SHOOTER13 like this.
    Colt SAA and Colt 1st gen SAA,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Liked
    10383 times
    EPS made a bunch of holsters with the 'US' embossing, but they never held a military contract - they even did fantasy left-handed M1916s for southpaws, but Uncle Sam never issued such.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Dating can be complicated enough; is concealed carry going to make it even more complex? Not necessarily. However, it may take require some tact on the part of the carrier, and maybe a little forward thinking. Shareit app vidmate apk
    Last edited by barrysingh102; 12-29-2019 at 11:29 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    The question about the holster brought back a whole slew of memories. I was part of a whole group of “irregulars” that used to hang out at El Paso Saddlery, in my case from about 1987 through 1999. I was a new Border Patrol Agent assigned to Station One, the main station, and I needed to get a holster for my personally owned revolver, S&W model 28, that I was being allowed to carry. One of my coworkers suggested I go down there and get a holster. Well, I went over to the “Saddlery” and met Bobby Mc Nellie. After talking to him, and looking around the shop, I think he took pity on me, as he often did with unique souls and stray dogs. He invited me to drop in on Saturday mornings when a eclectic group of firearm enthusiasts, old west amateur historians, dentists, border lawmen, and who knows what else would gather and then go to breakfast. Stories, experiences, and lies were told, guns, holsters, and accoutrements swapped or sold. Those times were some of my fondest memories.

But to get back to the holster, I would have to say no, there is no way to accurately date it, other than to say it was made since Bobby opened the Saddlery. It could even have been made since his son Ryan took over management in 1998 (I think). The only thing that might allow you to get a feel for age might be if there were records at the Saddlery of when they purchased that particular makers stamp, and that’s not to likely. The holster was a standard catalog item, made to order. Bobby would sometimes make a whole group of holsters, of one type or another, on order for resale by various vendors, like Sportsman Guide. I can’t ever remember him or his people “scratching” in a number like that. The holster appears to be in great shape, so I would just enjoy it and use it.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Oh, I typo’d Bobby’s name, it’s McNellis. I have a tough time typing on an IPad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links