Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help dating a holster

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    750 times

Help dating a holster

The Holster is made by El Paso Saddlery and is for a colt model M. I have taken pictures of all the markings I can find. I don't know if any of them help with determining the date of manufacture. Any help is appreciated.

20191203_151227 (1).jpg20191203_150943.jpg20191203_151238.jpg
    Last edited by Colt1860; 12-03-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1945 times
    I am not seeing any pictures here, but El Paso Saddlery was re-opened(?) by Bob McNellis in the early 1970's. So you may have one of his holsters.

On doing some checking, there also was an El Paso Saddlery Co. that renamed itself from Andrews & Hill in July 1890. The reason for the new name was that Andrews & Hill wanted to expand their product line from hardware and sporting goods to include harness and saddles.

I never asked Bob McNellis if he had started a new business, or if he had bought a former one to continue. Bob made reproduction holsters and cartridge belts of the "old west" style.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    750 times
    The no pictures has me baffled. I see them, does no one else? if so i will repost. The makers mark is:
    El Paso Saddlery Co
    MAKER
    El Paso Tex

Scratched on the lower part of the Belt loop is 44 in a box WBD arranged vertically

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10218 times
    Bobby bought the old name.

EPS catalogs will likely show the model, since pictures aren't coming up.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    no pictures.
    Vic
    victorio1sw likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1945 times
    FYI - The three pictures are visible now.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2322 times
    The pictures didn't load when i tried to view them.

Craig
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    I am not seeing any pictures here, but El Paso Saddlery was re-opened(?) by Bob McNellis in the early 1970's. So you may have one of his holsters.

On doing some checking, there also was an El Paso Saddlery Co. that renamed itself from Andrews & Hill in July 1890. The reason for the new name was that Andrews & Hill wanted to expand their product line from hardware and sporting goods to include harness and saddles.

I never asked Bob McNellis if he had started a new business, or if he had bought a former one to continue. Bob made reproduction holsters and cartridge belts of the "old west" style.
    Oh for goodness sakes, this has been covered here before. The original El Paso Saddlery went out of business in 1902; that information is in many cowboy collectibles references and verified by both contemoraneous (1897) newspaper articles and by Bob McNellis himself in his 1976 article just before he opened a new company but with the same name.

That company had been sold; and went out of business because one William Shelton, a partner in the old EPS, then started up the famous Shelton-Payne Arms that was most famous then for selling arms to one Pancho Villa. That company continued until 1931 when it became Don Thompson Inc. (Shelton died in '33) and remained so until the end of 1948 when that company, too, failed.

Bob states in a second article that he 'looked around for a name' after he bought the machinery etc. from the prior owner of Myres, a chap named LaCroix, in '78; the Myres name was sold separately to a chap named Duclos who still owns it. The present El Paso Saddlery is NOT related to the original company nor to Myres; nor was Myres ever related to the original El Paso Saddlery. Simply myths perpetuated (to their advantage) by the current owners of today's El Paso Saddlery. Because the makers marks take an expert to tell from the originals of 100 years ago, the modern ones are quite literally counterfeits; the O.P.'s is modern in more obvious ways than the makers mark (not least being the little fitment stamps that are entirely a late 20th century creation).

So the dating answer is . . . after 1978 when the new company was incorporated in that year as R.E.M. Industries (for Robert E. McNellis who died very early this century). Surprisingly he also used an R.E.M. Industries makers mark (I think the GOVT. 45 stamp likely came out of our inventory at Bianchi Holsters; JB and Bob were good friends and the former bought collectible outlaws' guns from Bob (and maybe they were genuine, JB!)).

1 rem mark.jpg
    Last edited by rednichols; 12-03-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Colt1860 and victorio1sw like this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    10218 times
    Well, it's a lined holster for the little .32 Colt - it's 'not' a military rig at all - the '44' and initials are scratched in - it likely dates to the '80's.
    Colt1860 and victorio1sw like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    750 times
    Thanks, it's what i thought but wasn't sure of the history of the El Paso Saddlery Co.. So now i know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links