Holster Help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Holster Help

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Holster Help

I'm interested in getting some vintage leather for my Police Positive Special and can't seem to find any sort of guide for that. I would really like a Brauer Bros., but I don't know which model fits. I think it's an H15, but I'm not sure. I bought a different model on ebay and it was too small and had to return it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
    Last edited by evstroh; 01-23-2020 at 09:47 AM.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evstroh View Post
    I'm interested in getting some vintage leather for my Police Positive Special and can't seem to find any sort of guide for that. I would really like a Brauer Bros., but I don't know which model fits. I think it's an H15, but I'm not sure. I bought a different model on ebay and it was too small and had to return it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
    Brauer is another one of those old companies that used number instead of words to show fitment -- and didn't always use the same number. Let's see if we can work this out:

brauer bros (4).jpg

Ah, yes, there's your problem: correct size is H16 for the 4" PP. The H15 is for the 6".
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Awesome! Thank you. That guide is just what I was looking for. It looks pretty damn old. Where did you find that?
    victorio1sw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evstroh View Post
    Awesome! Thank you. That guide is just what I was looking for. It looks pretty damn old. Where did you find that?
    Ah, I didn't go looking for it on your behalf; I collect information about gunleather and have 20,000 images of 'gunleather and ephemera' and historical documents. Thousands of those references went into the production of Holstory-Gunleather of the 20th Century, the book. One is tempted to claim, that if I don't have it, it isn't worth knowing about gunleather and its players. Nevertheless I look daily for more info and have both the obvious answers, and the arcane ones :-).
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8435 times
    Red do you have any data on the Stein company of New York City?

Especially a picture of their "Snatch" holster.

I only saw one picture in a gun magazine back in the 70's and always liked the look of the holster.
    I've made my take on the Stein several times.
    It was a sort of "half and half"..... It wasn't an upright shoulder holster, it wasn't a "Miami Vice" horizontal, but it wasn't an upside-down like the Berns-Martin.
    The gun hung under the arm with the barrel slanted up at an angle. It was a unique design I've never seen again.

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post

I only saw one picture in a gun magazine back in the 70's and always liked the look of the holster.
    It was a sort of "half and half"..... It wasn't an upright shoulder holster, it wasn't a "Miami Vice" horizontal, but it wasn't an upside-down like the Berns-Martin.
    The gun hung under the arm with the barrel slanted up at an angle. It was a unique design I've never seen again.
    I am certain I had images of the Stein but am not finding them now. I'm hard to stump but you've managed it. A NYC maker of course.

I did, however, find YOU when I went to the web to look for said Stein -- it wasn't your handle that caught my eye but the holster itself in the images page; and it's one of yours for a revolver along with one for the auto. Both are VERY handsome results:

Ys29q6Wl.jpg AvxUWUc.jpg
    Skysoldier likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    Ah yes, buried in another laptop that is my ultimate 'just in case' (besides the cloud backup etc.):

stein (1).jpg stein.JPG stein (2).JPG did the patent ever issue? Dunno.
    dfariswheel likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Member #
    Liked
    6165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post

The best shoulder holster I've ever had for the SA is the upside down one,butt down towards the rear & just a slight rearward muzzle angle by the armpit.I wish I still had it,I don't know anyone that makes one like it today,I won'r mention his name but a well known holster maker had it in his shop & when he relocated the shop he lost it.It saved my life twice.
    Ugly, Jackson and turnerriver like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8435 times
    Red thanks for the info, and thanks for the kind words on my workmanship.

The only picture I ever saw of the Stein "Snatch" holster was in an ad in a gun magazine in the early 70's.
    That one was a picture of the holster with a Colt Detective Special in it. On that one the area under the trigger guard was much more rounded around the trigger guard and had a more streamlined look.

What's so unusual about the Stein is that the strap that goes over the shoulder is attached to the area above the rear sight.
    The strap that goes under the arm is attached to the trigger guard area.
    This unusual mounting design positions the gun at a slanted angle with the muzzle slightly up.

The "Snatch" holster name refers to the pull-through retention strap. This looks like a thumb break but it's actually a pull-through snap so the gun is drawn by just grabbing the butt and pulling it out.
    In it's original form it was very fast and secure.

The holster pictures of mine that you found are actually cross-draw holsters.
    Here's my latest take on the old Stein. This one is a Miami Vice type horizontal holster with the Stein pull-through retention.
    This one is also fast into use.

The picture above with the Kahr Arms K9 is my own design, sort of a half-and-half rear seam.
    Most of my cross draw holsters have the seam in front to act as a sight trough, with the rear seam a fold over that gives the gun a smooth ramp to slide up on. This also makes it a little more comfortable when sitting.
    Just for fun I did this one and it worked so well I've used it ever since....

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    Yup, we've all done the rear fold thing at one time or another. My first contact with the notion was seeing an Andy Anderson Thunderbolt in a Gun World magazine in the late '60s. Woooowwww, I thought.

arganbrights (2).jpg

Here's one I did for Gene DeSantis when he bid on the FBI contract -- and won but the purpose of the holster was for Smith's 10mm Lite and we all know how that turned out (it didn't).

desantis fbi female paddle (4).jpg Lots more to this one than meets the eye: Kydex paddle on backside has a version for men, and another version for women -- and has never been equalled (nor does DeSantis make the paddles).

And of course the Autodraw for John Bianchi's operation:

3000 (11).jpg

My compliments were not necessarily directed to your workmanship :-). Anyone can sew in a straight line. I'm thinking of the massive eye appeal of the two black holsters, and that includes ticking all the boxes for styling and for clearing all the right areas for controls and fingers.

Shoulder holsters are always 'another matter'. None of us has ever succeeded in building a shoulder holster that's any better than a belt holster hanging from a harness; and few of us have ever succeeded in doing the harness so well that the pistol is carried comfortably and concealably. The real trick of a shoulder harness is that one never be used on a pistol bigger, or heavier, than an aluminium framed PPK and 2" Smith or Colt. It all goes out the window when anything even slightly bigger is used; the little .22s and .25s with aluminium frames were ideal for shoulder holsters.

1911-1914 sn Fleming, Ian FN .25 serial 257024 Wilson p 426 (2).jpg This pre-WW1 FN was Ian Fleming's personal pistol; his mother carried it, too, in Jamaica for protection, she said, against the locals of the post-WW2 era.
    Last edited by rednichols; 01-25-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    dfariswheel likes this.
    Red Nichols
    The Holstorian (tm)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links